DeWalt 735 planer

MO, perhaps? (MO, PA, and WA, IIRC)

Reply to
krw

The Springfield, Mo store is the ultimate trip to the big-boys candy store.

Ron

Reply to
RonB

Don't wait for me Bill. I've been thinking about buying a planer for many, many years, and while I can afford one, I'm not sure I have enough woodworking hours left in me to go to the trouble. I tend to get ants in my pants to buy, then, under more calm conditions, I look at it more logically. If I were to buy one, I probably would take Steve's opinion of the Griz seriously, as he owns one, and I would simply make sure whomever was responsible for delivery, came with a lift gate to get the thing on my driveway.

Reply to
Jack Stein

I live in Pittsburgh PA and I'm sure there is lots of delivery options. Speed however is a non-issue, I've been thinking of buying a planer since 1976.... 33 years:-)

Reply to
Jack Stein

I do the same thing. I can talk myself out of almost any purchase now matter how badly I think I want it. :-)

As I mentioned before, in the case of the planer the SAIA driver did all the work to get the crate onto the lift and down onto the driveway, then using his small mechanical forklift we both pushed it up into my garage where he let it down in the location of my choosing; very convenient, and I tipped him accordingly. Just don't assume you'll get the same level of service.

Obviously this planer is a heavy beast (the manual doesn't give a weight for the machine itself, but the shipping weight is 675 lbs!), so you'd think that getting it off the pallet and onto the slab might be a problem, but I was able to do it myself without much fuss. Unfortunately, I don't really remember HOW I did it (heh), but it helps that the integrated mobile base is already partially installed, and I think I may have installed the swiveling caster first as a means of lifting and guiding the machine off the pallet. Once onto the slab, the mobile base works very well and moving the machine around is a snap.

Be prepared to spend a good three or four hours setting this thing up before you expect to plane any wood. It will be *covered* with cosmoline (shipping grease), and you'll need a lot of rags and mineral spirits to get it off. The cutter assembly is coated with it too, and you pretty much have to remove the top access covers and the chip deflector panel to gain decent access to it. If you don't clean this goop off the cutter head (or anywhere else in the general vicinity) it will be a magnet for accumulating dust.

Installing the cast iron infeed and outfeed tables was a bit tricky. There are three mounting bolts, but only two alignment setscrews (near each of the outer mounting bolts). After aligning the table with the outer setscrews and tightening the outer mounting bolts, I found that tightening the center mounting bolt would stress and twist the table, throwing the alignment out of whack. This is due to the gap caused by the lack of a center setscrew, and I had to put shims (washers, actually) up into the gap before I could tighten the center bolt and not cause misalignment.

The manuals give conflicting information about whether the gearbox has been filled with oil; in my case no oil was needed. You are also advised to check all the adjustment procedures, but I found the machine to be correctly adjusted straight off the crate.

It cuts too! It does a very nice job, it does. Be sure to wear ear protection though; it's quite noisy, especially if you're using a dust collector (which is *really* a necessity with a planer of this caliber). Over all, I'm very pleased, and I think Grizzly is a fine company to work with.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Hi Bleu,

How are you doing Hey i share my experience with you friend.I was in same s tage like you but on of my friend suggest me to buy online planer blades at

& it work really good and it was exactly feet in my machine and steel it's working v.good i highly recomodet to you for buy Dewalt planer blade from woodford tooling they sale long lasting wo od machine tool.

Reply to
brainpinto