DeWalt 735 planer

Page 1 of 3
I have been thinking about replacing my portable 12" planer. Reading reviews of the Dewalt 735. One reviewer claims he liked everything but the blades which he claims are so thin that they dull almost immediately. Anyone here had similar experience. Lowes has them now for $599 vs. $649 everywhere else on the web.

Hard to see what the thickness of the blade would have to do with how long it holds an edge. In any event, I've had a 735 for about five years now, and that has not been my experience; I wonder what that reviewer was running through his planer...
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 02:23:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I bought a 735 last year[*] and though I don't need them, noticed the blades are more expensive than those for the 734.
[*] paid about $425 at Lowes then

The 735 uses three blades. Doesn't the 734 have only two?
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:01:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

According to this the 734 also has three blades:
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productIDY34
DW734 12 and 1/2 inch wide, 3 blades, one speed. appx $400
DW735 13 inches wide, 3 blades, two speeds. appx $600

OK, you have a valid concern. You have a portable now that apparently is not fulfilling your needs or wishes. Now you are considering the purchase of another portable that will probably follow in those foot steps. Portable plainers have gone the route of todays printers. The printers are cheap, the replacement ink cartridges are expensive and don't last. My old AP10 portable has the same blades it came with, the old fashoned style, the ones you can resharpen over and over. You cannot do that with most any of the portables these days.
You want to up grade and you seem to justify the $600 for the new "portable". You probably want to use the new planer more. How much more are you going to spend on new blades when they get dull? You have a planer now so you really don't need a replacement unless you want more capacity. I suggest you do what I did several years ago and buy your last new planer. Get a full sized one with blades that can be resharpened and basically run circles around any protable.
If you can justify spending $600 for an upgrade surely yu can save a little longer and get a permanent upgrade for $350 more, shipped. And it will do 15" and has a built in mobile base.
http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

I don't think the comparison is valid, Leon. It's not unusual for a set of replacement ink cartridges to exceed 75% of the cost of a new printer, but it *is* unusual for a set of replacement planer blades to exceed 10-15% of the cost of the planer.

As I've noted repeatedly, the blades on the DW735 *can* be resharpened (perhaps "honed" is a better word) several times before they need to be discarded.

Nothing, if he buys a DW735. By the third or fourth time that the blades get dull, then he has to spend about sixty bucks on a new set.

That extra $350 will buy five or six sets of blades for a DW735, which should last for several years at least.

I think the compairison is very valid. When the portables first came out the blades were not disposable and lasted a very long time and they cost about as much ase the disposables. In th old days printers were more expensive and the replace ink cartridges were cheap.

Regardless can you hone/shapren your disposable blades down 1/4"

If you baby the blades.

The blades on the Griz probably would out last the DeWalt planer.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, I guess.

No, not that far, I'll admit -- my point is only that it's not necessary to discard the blades as soon as they become dull.

If you hone the blades when they get dull.

Probably so -- but I imagine five or six sets of blades would too, if they're rehoned when they get dull. Bottom line is that if the OP is doing enough planing to run through a set of DW735 blades -- including rehoning when dull -- in a year or less, he's probably a *lot* better off taking your advice than taking mine. But if his usage is lighter, to the point that a set of blades, including rehoning, lasts for three or four years, then he may be better off taking my advice than yours. :-)
wrote: .

I was coming from the stand point that he already has a portable planer that he wants to upgrade from. IMHO $600 gets him another portable, 50% more and he has a lifetime unit with much higher capicity.

And I don't disagree. If he has the budget, he may well be better off that way. I just wanted to point out that the "disposable" blades are, in my experience, much longer-lived than many people seem to think.

My old Ryobi is wearing down and I also have been looking at planers. I saw several bad reviews on the 735 and many were regarding fast- dulling blades. Some others chain failure. However, many of the bad news reviews came from early days right after its release. Later reviews seem more positive. The blade issue might be left over from early experience. Current users who post here seem to like theirs.
LEON Wrote:

LEON - You seem to be suggesting the G0453. That is exactly the machine I am settling in on. My son-in-law has an earlier version and loves it.
Do you own one?
The Grizzly store is only about 2+ hours away and we have grandchildren just south of the route. What an excuse to go to the big boy candy store!

No! I own the Delta 15" stationary planer. http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID 887 I do see a distince advantage that this particular Griz design has over the Delta that I have. The motor is on the lower side of the machine. The advantage here is that the elevation crank does not have to lift the heavy motor and cutter head assembly, it only has to lift the table, and the motor does not have to be moved to change blades. OTOH the table on the Griz moves up and down which could be a disadvantage if you use an auxillary infeed or outfeed platform.
The Grizzly store is only about 2+ hours away and we have grandchildren just south of the route. What an excuse to go to the big boy candy store!
I'd be on that like a duck on'a June bug.
Leon wrote:

Gotta love the Texans. Round here we use "be on that like a fat kid on a Smartie"
RonB wrote:

I have the G0453. Very nice machine; go for it.
Steve Turner wrote:

Steve, I'm thinking of buying this sucker, and am wondering about the delivery. Grizzly says I'm responsible for getting it off the truck with no help from the driver. I would think the truck would have a lift gate to get the sucker off the truck? Does it come in one piece? How much trouble was it to get this thing off the truck?
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote: ...

Lift gate service is normally extra fee and you'll tell 'em when you purchase and arrange the shipping if go that route.
Regular truck all the driver is responsible for is to get it to the back door for access w/ forklift.
I look at the more local lines for delivery most will have dock pickup at their terminal available for either free into your truck or less than most liftgate service charges. Of course, if you don't have truck or way to get off the pickup...

dpb wrote:

I have a truck but still no easy way to get 700 lbs off of it any more than their truck. Not sure I would want a $1000 machine weighing that much on my tail gate anyway.
--
Jack

Aw come on, that would just be like 3 slightly bigger than guys setting on your tail gate.