DeWalt 733 planer *thunk*

My very first thought of that picture was that of a double over head valve cam engine with the timing cover removed. LOL

Cool machine.

Reply to
Leon

It's very handy, indeed. The fella' who cleaned up the one in the picture (first one w/ the cover off showing drive I found) did a nice job on painting and all; the silver/black looks good. _BUT_, the originals were an off-white/Delta machinery gray.

The PM is old enough it's from the green era before the gold; not sure just when that was and don't know the precise date for it. My PM66 TS that bought new and picked up at the factory outside McMinnville around '80+/- a year or two started out green but was repainted gold before I picked it up so it was in the transition time period...

I'm pretty sure the planer predates that by at least 10 year and probably 20 or more...

I've an old hybrid Walker-Turner/Rockwell 3/4" spindle shaper that came from a shop on the VCU campus in Richmond that dates to the late

40s/early 50s. Many of the basic castings have identical casting numbers to those still being produced by Delta before the buyout and they went totally to pot...
Reply to
dpb

IIRC when I was looking for my first cabinet saw in 1998 the local store had green Powermatics. If memory serves me well the PM 2000, a couple of years later, was the beginning of the "Gold Standard" colors.

I could be FOS but I do recall the green but I was not that in tune with PM up until the late 90's when I wanted to upgrade my TS.

And then for a short time since then you could order one of several colors, some with flames. Geez... LOL

Reply to
Leon

I think there was a period when they went back to the green after had kinda' "lost their way" w/ the Jet purchase and all...but the original switch from green was definitely well before that time. I don't remember the _exact_ year of purchase but know it was within a year or to of the move from VA to TN and that was in summer '78...so I'd give it '81 or maybe '82 at the very latest.

Not that it really matters all that much, just was kinda' surprised when the first chip showed the green underneath... :) And, this isn't identically the same gold they use now, now are brighter/more yellow than this was, even new...

I coveted the Model 66 from the old codger's shop in Lynchburg I've talked about and got by with the old DeWalt RAS until could finally swing it instead of doing something lesser and being dissatisfied. I truly wanted a Model 26 shaper but got the little 1/2" spindle Delta as a starter and eventually found the above Walker-Turner cheap. Those were days long before the router was what they are today, of course.

Reply to
dpb

Got it, that makes sense and certainly not strange swapping colors.

Yeah I recall one of the golds looking kind'a like what I thought as being not as attractive as the current gold. I'll not mention what I really called it. ;~) So yours is absolutely from the the old school bullet proof models I would imagine.

IIRC pictures of old PM trunions being almost intimidating. Is yours massive? I really recall them being huge compared to the more modern PM trunions.

Reply to
Leon

I've thought of repainting it to the modern gold but am sure never will :) I don't know of any place to get the old color but I suspect part of the reason this generation were as dark as they were was that they all wear a green "primer" coat!

As for "massive" trunnions, they're hefty, certainly, but "they are what they are" in judging as I've not really compared to anything newer. I've never seen one of the new generation other than in pictures so can't really comment. I know the total weight is at least comparable, but that's all I can say.

Actually, on reflection, the 66 is by far and away the newest of the large iron pieces I've got--both planers and jointer date from 60s/70s and the shaper is early to maybe mid-50s. I regret it but I passed on bringing an old (1930s) Crescent 24" jointer that was offered from one of the TVA shops when we came back to the farm...

dpb

Inquiring minds and all that... :)

From a thread at OWMM ca 2007...

Gray / Grey thru 1958 Vista / Pea Green 1959 - 1969 Evergreen / Metallic Green 1970 - 1981 Metallic Gold 1 1982 - 1993 Metallic Gold 2 (1977 GM Cadillac Sovereign Gold Metallic 1994 - 1995 Mustard Yellow 1996 - Present

Some of them guys have _way_ too little otherwise to do!!!

So, from this it must've been the '81-'82 transition when I bought the

  1. I looked in the drawer where I dumped all the shop books and stuff from the TN move and found the manual but the invoice wasn't with it so can't confirm for absolute certain the exact date. I do recall it was pretty early spring when drove over to pick it up as considered a side trip to one of the many nurseries in the area over there but ended up not...
Reply to
dpb

That is very cool! So that Mustard Yellow must'a been the tint that caught my eye originally. And 1977 Cadillac Gold! PEA Green! I absolutely remember all of that. LOL I always thought that the new gold kind'a had a greenish brownish cast to it.

Now let's talk about your hoarding problem. LOL...

I'm just pulling your leg!

About a year go I was going through my dad's old paperwork and records. I believe I am going to keep a particular one. It was a change of ownership license receipt from Oklahoma. This receipt is dated 1949 for the purchase of a 1941 Buick. ;~)

Do you recall when receipts had a spot for the date and certain certainties were preprinted? Like 194_, and you fill in the 9.

Reply to
Leon

Is this it, the color?

And more recently, the flames..

Leon

On 02/13/2016 7:53 PM, Leon wrote: ...

I'm not sure 'cuz of the lighting but I think that's the lighter, later "Cadillac" gold era...

This one looks pretty close on my monitor, at least ... and mine is also of the era still with that big square heavy metal box over the motor mount rather than the formed metal or (later) plastic...

If'en I had a enabled picture-taker w/o having to use the cable link to upload, I'd just go take a few...but I don't so it's sorta' a pain. :)

Reply to
dpb

Well thanks anyway, it's not important, just interesting. And thanks for clearing up the green to gold to green to gold models.

Reply to
Leon

I knew _something_ wasn't right on that picture; it dawned on me -- mine has chromed wheels instead of the black. The decal in that picture looks almost black; it's really the dark green w/ red and white stripes--

It's kinda' fun; agreed it isn't important... :) I've got some tasks I really want to finish up today (the stand for the Tormek being one, I ran out of time yesterday afternoon to finish the drawer for the accessories before cleaning up to go to town for the local community college ball games and it's still too cold this morning) so just piddlin' for a little while before church...

Reply to
dpb

On 02/13/2016 7:53 PM, Leon wrote: ...

Oh, that's nothin', Leon! :) There's the original loan receipt from

1913 my grandfather and his brother took out for $300 to buy the pair of mules and other homestake gear when they made the big move from Stafford County (KS) to the place here the following year.

I've also got copies (nearly pristine condition) of the owners books for the old McCormick-Deering 10-20

and the old Twin City 20-35. Don't think (fact am certain :) ) grandpa ever pulled three binders at a time, but we still used an identical one through the early 60s...it finally was sold to a Mennonite farmer when Dad had his retirement sale in the early '90s; had been out in the shed ever since.

And that's just a bare sampling of the "stuff" that's still around... :)

Reply to
dpb

LOL You got me there!

Some of those "old" instruction manuals are a delight to read.

My uncle gave me a book on proper maintenance of a vehicle and how to properly drive a vehicle, back in the early 70's when I was learning to drive. He kind'a grinned when he handed it to me, he got it from his dad.

I clearly remember that the operator of a vehicle should regularly check and oil as needed the leather clutch plate on the transmission.

Further it advised that only a "show off" would attempt to drive up an incline on a road with out downshifting.

Those were different times. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Hi All I need to replace the large springs . Does anybody knows how to remove them and put back together. Cheers Jason

Reply to
righty0184