DeWalt 733 Planer Maintenance

Recently I had to do a little maintenance on my DW733 (type 1) so I figured it would be a good time to go through it completely to clean, lube and align. As some of you are aware, when raising or lowering the blade assy, it may bind when at the extremes and that's one minor problem I wanted to cure.
Went to the DeWalt site www.dewalt.com and opened an account (it's free) and then was able to access the Technical Publications. This area has the manuals, diagrams, schematics, alignment procedures, tech notes and even some video's to show how to do something. Certainly more than I expected but you will either need a broadband connection for the video's or lot's of patience. Everything else was "moderately" quick.
From one of their service bulletins I found this: (SB No. 06018)
"The lock nut (ITEM 62), set screw (ITEM 63) and washer (ITEM 153) that are located above the cutter head on the threaded rods will no longer be used in production as of date code 0037. These components are not required and are actually causing binding problems resulting in product returns and customer dissatisfaction. Units that come in for repair for any reason should have these components removed.
They can be quickly accessed by removing the crank handle (ITEM 97), the four top cover screws (ITEM 96) and then the top cover with the side panels attached. There is a small set screw located in the hole (closest to the outside) of each lock nut. Remove the set screw, unscrew the lock nut and remove the washer. Then reinstall top cover and crank handle."
That fixed the binding problem and the rest of the material I downloaded showed how to do the alignments, etc. Took about 1-1/2 hrs to do everything (clean, lube, align) plus replace the blades with my spare set that I sharpened. Ran some stock through it, verified everything was working and aligned and it's back in-service for my next project.
Be sure you know if you have a type 1 or 2 since it does make a difference on some of the procedures. Supposedly, the type 2 doesn't use the lock nuts referenced in the SB, so you don't have to remove them.
Oh yeah..... the locknut is secured in-place by a hex head, 1" long screw that is hidden in one of the holes in the lock nut. Use a correct size allen wrench to back it all the way out, then you can remove the locknut and the wavy washer.
Bob S.
thanks for posting this info on the 733, which I have. Your post is a "keeper".
dave
Bob S. wrote:

Yer welcome. Do checkout their site though - the videos are worth it for understanding how to do some of the alignments. As they say, "A picture is worth...".
Bob S.