DeWalt 715 mitre saw.

I need a 12" chopsaw for a specific work station. It doesn't need to be a slider. The Borg has the DeWalt 715 on for a deal that includes a gift certificate and the end-price certainly falls within an acceptable range.

I love my Makita LS 1013, but I'm not going to dedicate that to cutting aluminum.... noooo sireeee.

Anything I should know about the DeWalt (I own NO DeWalt Anything...) chop saw, or should I just STFU and drop that couple of hundered?

r---->who always appreciates this group's input with the utmost gratitude. (you believe this shit?)

Reply to
Robatoy

I had an 18VDC drill for 10 years before somebody decided they needed it more than I did.

Have had a bench planer for 9 years.

I use my tools, they earn their keep.

Neither one owe me anything.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

(you believe this shit?)

Whaaat? Sarcasm? Say it ain't so!

My next door neighbor is a full time house trimmer and does a lot of high end work. For his staionary saw, he only uses his 12" 715 DeWalt . He loves that thing almost as much as his sons, probably more than his teenage daughter (although that could just be considering her age).

He has carried that around in the back of his truck for about 4 - 5 years now, and swears it is still as accurate as when he bought it. He has built decks with it and still does large crown with it. It is mounted on a one of those rolling miter stations, and it goes where he goes.

For my personal saw, I have the little brother 10" DeWalt, and love it. It is the most accurate miter saw I have ever owned, and I have had a few. My milled engineer's square told me that it needed final adjustment when I got it back to check it out, but once I got it tuned up, it has stayed that way. I have had it about 7 years, and it still makes the stain grade joints with ease. It has literally made thousands and thousands of cuts.

versions of each other, made in the same plant in Taiwan.

Of course.... my ninja death squad warrior employees do NOT get to use my saw. I have a Ridgid 12" they use, the same one I use for decks, etc. It has actually been a really good saw, too. It is still fine for running base, window stool and sash, any paint grade trim. Come to think if it, that's pretty good considering that it hasn't seen too many kind days out on the job at the hands of my warriors.

I am wondering now.... maybe you should ping Leon.

Isn't there anything in a nice shade of green a black available?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Robatoy wrote in news:1181769286.296655.137750 @o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

I bought a 12" DeWalt about 6 or 8 years ago, don't remember exactly. It's been a really good tool to have around. It's part of almost every project I do (serious hobby guy). Worth every shekel I spent.

It's not the double bevel one, though. That was an upgrade I didn't need.

The upgrade that DID make sense was the Ridgid Miter Saw Utility Vehicle, a rollabout work table/stand for $100 on sale at the Borg. Don't schlep what you don't have to...

And yes, I've used it to cut aluminium, but only with the funky blade...

Patriarch, happy camper

Reply to
Patriarch

Good saw, decent blade from the factory, but it was even batter after having it re-sharpened.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Rob

I have the DW718 and though I don't mind Dewalt I wouldn't buy the saw again it's pretty heavy for moving around the job site and when I start to do precise cuts I hate the fact that I can't read the compound angle or set a compound angle without a ton of trouble. If this is for finishing work, or molding look at something with a micro dial on it. If this is for aluminium I know a guy just outside of Forest that use to use a DW715 for aluminium for years but stopped after it tried to take his hand apart a few times. He now uses a proper saw. What exactly is the project?

Reply to
HotRdd

[...]

I don't own or use the DW715, but I own a DW708 and DW703 and have found them both to be good tools. From what I can tell of the pictures on Dewalt's web site, the DW715 looks like the big brother to the DW703.

On a recent trip I picked up the DW703 to put up some molding. Out of the box the saw was ready to go. Nothing to put together or install, except to attach the dust bag. When I checked the saw over for squareness of the blade to the fence, etc. everything was dead on.

Depending on what you are going to do with the saw, you may want to put a different blade on it. The stock blades that come with the saws are good for general construction, but if you're going to be doing something where you don't want to see any tear out, you'll want something else. For my DW708 I recently picked up a Freud TK407 12"

80 tooth blade for $39 from Amazon via their current promotion[1] on saw blades. That's been working very nicely. [1]: Just use the code 20OFFJUN and they'll take 20% off.
Reply to
Michael Faurot