Dewalt 17" ras pics

I posted a couple of pics of the 17"ras that runs on120v. on abpw. Must be pretty old, but seems to cut fine. Worth $200? He's in no hurry to sell it, but does not use it much at all anymore.

Reply to
Jimmy

I can't get abpw, but I will trust you that it is lovely. How many amps is the motor?

Reply to
Toller

Looked like a 10" B&D to me! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Sorry, I mean 10 inch blade, 17" carriage travel. It's a 12 amp motor, no hp rating.It's a DeWalt B&D saw. Never heard of a 17" blade ras.

Reply to
Jimmy

Yeah, well saws are categorized by the diameter of the blade, not the travel distance or the distance from one edge of the table to the saw blade, although those measurements may be important to the buyer.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Yes. I'm not sure I'd pay $200 for this saw unless it was in super condition, considering its age. The pictures didn't tell much about that. There's more cast iron there then you'll find in newer saws, but the opportunities for excessive wear have been greater, too.

Reply to
Charles Self

No, it's a Black and Decker. Dewalt was never involved.

Reply to
CW

More pics on abpw that show otherwise, on the side it says DeWalt Power Shop, on the front it says B&D Power Shop. I'm confused. When did B&D buy DeWalt?

Reply to
Jimmy

In 1960.

no(SPAM)vasys

As I seem to recall from the previous thread, folks rightfully assumed you were looking at a 17" diameter blade saw as blade diameter is the way radial arm saws are sized. The motor to power a 17" blade (an unlikely size) wouldn't run on 120v which was what all the hubbub was about.

A 10" saw is on the small side for radial arms. 12" would be better and

14" would be sweet. (I'm thinking the 12", 14" and larger would absolutely require 220v.)
Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Last month I saw a 12" Dewalt, in beautiful condition, go for $200 at auction. Sadly I didn't have room for it. In general, older 10" go for about $70. Maybe yours is something special.

Reply to
Toller

Hummm, in the UK it'd go for = $500....

Reply to
badger

Maybe there is business potential for buying them here for $70 and shipping them to the UK. The supply seems nearly unlimited.

Reply to
Toller

Possibly when that saw was built it was built like a Lincoln automobile. Owned by Ford and with lots of Ford pieces and Ford stamps on the car with a few Lincoln pieces to make it unique from other Fords. Take the Early 70's T-bird and Continental for instance.

That does not mean you have a bad saw, as way back when, B&D still had a reputable name as a builder of power tools.

Reply to
Leon

You have what looks like a 7730 which was a B&D design/downgrade from the old deWalts, it has a manual brake, will not power a 10" blade correctly, it is an open arm design which is not the best model to have. This model uses a starter relay which is subject to failure, but esily replaceable. It's NOT worth $200.

Rumpty

Whereas here (UK) the supply is very limited....120v would need a transformer, but as we run site tools on 110v that wouldn't be difficult!

Reply to
badger

Many can be changed to 240v easily enough. Unfortunately this looks like another one of those great opportunities I will regret later on.

Reply to
Toller

Not to worry, there will be another chance to score one - perhaps an even better one.

I passed on a DeWalt from the late 50's, early 60's I found at an estate sale. Guy had a lot of stuff there but this was in primo shape, 10" with probably half a dozen carbide blades, and at least ten more regular blades and, IIRC, a dado set.

This was the DeWalt with the heavy duty "spatter type" paint job and the elevation crank sitting on top of the column.

I didn't need it and, unfortunately, didn't have the space to store it even temporarily while trying to sell it. They wanted $70 for the whole shebang. Went back with the van to pick up another item I'd purchased on Saturday - now we're talking half price day - and was told that it went out the door, mid-morning, for $35. Hell, the OEM stand it was sitting on was worth that!

Keep looking. If you want one, you'll eventually be given an opportunity to "steal" one.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused