DeWalt 10" mitre saw or Rigid 10" mitre saw - Please Advise

I need a mitre saw for home projects (a newbie at best, I'd like to finish out my basement) and went to home depot to get one. The guy there swore by DeWalt (which was my original choice since I have other DeWalt tools - drill, sander), showed me a 10" saw for $200 and gave me some food for thought.

I went back 2 days later to look at nail guns and saws again, and a different guy went on and on about the Rigid 10" saw - competitor to DeWalts. Both are around $200.

What should I get? 2 so called "pros" recommend 2 different saws. I'm inclined to get the Dewalt because it seems to be more adjustable (keeping it level) and because it matches my other tools. But the Rigid has a lifetime warranty (what is DeWalts?) and I do have some screwdrives etc made by them that I love.

ANY and ALL advice is welcome. I expect the "do what you think is best' type comments, but I really do need so expert advice and opinions on this.

Thanks!

AP

Reply to
ap

Stop right there. 99% of Home Depot employees are not pros and their advice should be taken with a grain of salt. A salt lick is more like it.

Look closer at that lifetime warranty. It isn't what you think.

I would go for the Dewalt especially if the prices are the same. I don't however own the saw, I am just a believer in Dewalt and Porter Cable.

My $.02 Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

I have a Dewalt dual-bevel 12" compound miter saw and it is awesome. It was calibrated exactly right out of the box and I haven't had to screw with it in the year I've had it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I'm speaking only for myself, and your situation will be different. I have a Ridgid CMS (made by the old manufacturer--I got it about 2 years ago) and I've been completely happy with it. I use it for light duty stuff. It took me about 5 minutes out of the box to set it up, and it was bang on accurate. The only thing I don't care for much is the horizontal "D" handle--seems like vertical would have been a better choice, but whatever.

I've also used a DeWalt--but the 12" sliding CMS, not the one you're referring to.

I always thought the Rigids were cheaper, but if they're the same price--hey, I'd probably go for the DeWalt instead.

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

DeWalt, hands down.

If the Ridgid was $100 less, I'd say "maybe", but at the same price, no contest. DW has a reputation as being one of the best. I have the 12" and the blade is good and the accuracy right out of the box perfect. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

wow... so most are in favor of DeWalt... i suppose that answers my question. thanks folks for the advice.

ap

Reply to
ap

I have the 10" DeWalt mitre saw and I could not be happier with it. All I had to do was just pull it out of the box, plug it in, and go to work. No calibrating, no setup required. It's a great saw. I really don't know anything about the Rigid though, so I really can't comment on which is better. All I know is that you can't go wrong with the DeWalt.

Reply to
Ksu93dlv

I sort of like my Porter Cable 12". I've used other saws though not as extensively as this one.

Thing is, after a thousand or so cuts, from tiny pieces to framing lumber to 4x6es (without needing tricks) it's tighter than both the Ridgid or DeWalt on display in the BORG.

Plus it has a better indexing system than any of the others. The DeWalts close but the PC uses a plate where the DW uses sheet metal.

Reply to
Mark

FWIW I am not sure about the DeWalt 10" miter saw but the main reason I purchased my 12" was because of the vernier at the setting knob. The vernier makes odd angles a much easier proposition. Also the vernier is adjustable so that you can calibrate the saw. The only problem I have ever hda with mine was the saw blade it came with the original saw blade was fairly coares and it kicked a small piece out of my hand and bent the fence. I realize it was probably my fault but I noticed that the new ones came with many more teeth. I have had it for 7 years and make my living with my tools: I still love it.

Reply to
Charles A. Peavey