device for taking down cuting measurments

Hello: I'm not a particularly good carpenter so excuse what may seem a dumb post. Basically I have a terrible time with how I take down cutting measurments. I use scraps of paper, pices of wood, etc. even resorted to a roll of taping paper on tool belt.
Is there a better way== a handy device out there to record cuts and info? A wrist pad? I know several makers of tape measures have a recordable device in them. Not exactly what I'm looking for.
Any tips or sources of simple device appreciated.
Add pictures here
βœ–

How about a tape measure with a built in voice recorder?
http://www.zircon.com/SellPages/Measuring/R25/R25.html
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I can't help but wonder what you found to be unacceptable with a pad of paper? Anything electronic is useless in my book - for a couple of reasons. 1) it's just too damned cutesy and addresses a problem that doesn't really exist. 2) it doesn't allow you to associate the numbers with anything. A pad of paper works well to draw your cuts out and write the measurements on the drawing - extremely valuable for complex cuts. And... it just doesn't get any simpler than that.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

One tradition is to use the back of a piece of glasspaper,. It will be thick enough to draw on without a backing, heavy enough not to be blown about as you move your workpiece?
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Add pictures here
βœ–
loutent wrote:

I was given a digital Starrett (sp?) tape measure as a gift. I use it all the time. But I NEVER look at the digital reading. :) I like the tape because it's heavy and stands out a long way. The digital reading is good to +- 1/16". Not too useful for cabinetmaking.
Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–
loutent wrote:

For me, low to medium adhesion masking tape on the face of my tape measure works pretty well. It is cheap, crude but effective.
Ed
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you are on a job site and need one dimension for the next cut I usually write it down on the timber to be cut.
For multiple measurements a small spiral bound notebook is very handy. Fits in pocket easily and are cheap enough to throw the page away when done.
In the workshop I have a small 2' x 3' whiteboard for sketching on, TO_DO lists etc.
You can get strap on pads. Any pilot (aviation) store has them. Not real good in my opinion if you are climbing around a job site.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Try one of the plastic SLATES that divers carry to write down dive information/etc with a pencil. They erase easily and are pretty much unbreakable. They vary in size from around 4x6 to 8x11, some of the smaller ones even have multiple waterproof pages for tons of notes, erase easily. They are made out of something like PVC plastic, and you can get thin sheets of PVC from McMaster-Carr etc and make up a boat load of these, give the extras away as gifts to fellow wookworkers (or divers if you dive)
John
On 31 Oct 2005 17:34:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 31 Oct 2005 14:27:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I just use a clipboard with a legal pad on it. I might use it to layout a cabinet or I might just write down a cut list of molding measurements. I hang it on the wall near the tablesaw and have a place to hang it on the chop saw bench.
Mike O.
Add pictures here
βœ–

1. A story stick
2. Note pad
3. Both of above
--
dadiOH
____________________________

Pad of paper and a pencil works just fine for me. I think you're making this waaaay more complicated than it needs to be. Try this: always wear a shirt with a pocket. Keep a small pad of paper, and a mechanical pencil, in that pocket. You'll always know where they are. They'll always be easy to reach.
--
Regards,
βœ–
Doug Miller wrote:

I tried that. The pencil ends up always being at the other end of the ladder. ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

This isn't a marketplace group, Pat.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Considering how rarely Pat does "sell" his site and how often he has some pretty good ideas and thoughts for us, I'm thinking, let it slide.
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–