Developing a measured drawing

Can anyone tell me any websites, books, or tips on creating a measured drawing from several pictures of a piece of furniture? This more of challenge than I originally thought as this is a chair with lots of angles. As a start I drew the chair (from a photograph) onto paper, then located the two "vanishing points" by extending the lines where the chair feet touch the floor. I took an engineering drafting course in college, which helps a little. TIA

Reply to
Phisherman

Check your incoming e-mail.

Reply to
Swingman

Try the free tool from Google, Sketchup. Real easy 2D and 3D, they have a free version and although I haven't tried them they actually have tools for creating 3D models from photographs by sketching right over the image and they somehow learn the perspective and do all the adjustments. At least that is how it is advertised. Might be exactly what you need.

I can usually do all my work in 2D and being somewhat of an AutoCAD expert I always seem to find the tools to do what I need but that program is (was) a career in itself to learn and use.

BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thu, Feb 21, 2008, 2:23pm snipped-for-privacy@nobody.com (Phisherman) doth queyeth: Can anyone tell me any websites, books, or tips on creating a measured drawing from several pictures of a piece of furniture? =A0

Architect or engineer scale. Freehand sketch on a graph, or graph paper. They work nicely for me. Or, I hear a pantograph will work, but not tried.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

If I remember right you will need two measurements to start with, height and width. measure the width of the chair at the floor (this may be guess work) and project that measurement to a point in front of the chair from the vanishing point. You can now measure the width of any part of the chair using that measurement or a fraction of it Do the same for the height of the chair. I can't remember how to get the depth of the object but do remember it is a logarithm of some sort. I am sure that some one here will know the answer.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

Fww had an article on this some time ago. If I can dig up the issue, I'll post a reply to this message.

jc

Reply to
Joe

Try the free version of Google Sketchup 6 for Windows or Mac

has a feature called Photomatch to create a 3D model from a photograph. You can dimension for plan views (top, front, side, back, etc.)

You can adjust one dimension and resize model to create 1/10, 1/4, 1/2 scales, etc.

Lot's of other fun stuff like GPS sun/shadow positioning on architectural models, textures, flythru videos, etc. Everything you'd expect from a 3D modeling app.

Free shared 3D warehouse of models to start from including "woodcrafts" (bowls, plates, goblets, ornaments, etc.)

Many video tutorials on youtube, etc. Here's a few intro tutorial video links;

?v=fSuDoX8SPtU
?v=P3tYEHnQwnYAdjust textures to try different wood designs, like woodturning software

Joe

The issue is FWW #170, Article is Scaling Furniture from Photos written by Miguel Gómez-Ibáñez

Good luck,

Joe

Reply to
Joe