Determining what size to cut rail and stiles

anything made of

wish you had made

acquired,

Yes I have listened. I also saif I wanted an inside bead on the frame. I am a relative newbie but I dont see how I can easily do that on that lap joint.

I also said that, after looking at the link someone else posted, I can replace the glass doing it the way I want to by rabbeting out the groove.

Reply to
stryped1

I thought rail length had to take into account the thickness of each stile plus the 3/8 tennon?

Reply to
stryped1

anything made of

wish you had made

acquired,

relative newbie but I dont see how I can easily do that on that lap joint.

the glass doing it the way I want to by rabbeting out the groove.

Use your new bit cut cut a quarter round, rip it off of the stock and glue those in place.

This is a great place to get suggestions and ideas and every one is an expert in their own mind. You are going to get a vast and varied list of ways to do this and like life you will get different results.

The way you want to do this is "a way to do it" but not the best.

Reply to
Leon

I have 3 different glass sources and one includes delivery and installation in his price. The other two are about the same price as the first but you take the doors to them. They charge about $5 per piece of glass to install. All use a clear silicone like adhesive. If I break a piece of glass I am letting them do the work for $5.

Reply to
Leon

No. Not if your rail ends are butting into the stiles. Which is normal. Look at the diagram here...

and where it says "panel" substitute "mirror". As you can see, the length of the rails is the same as the "mirror".

When you cope (cut the profile) on the rail ends part of the result is a tongue (tenon). That tongue fits into the groove that your other bit cuts in the stiles just like the mirror (panel) does. Since both mirror and tenon go into the same groove, both have the same horizontal dimension. For an exact fit. As I keep saying, I'd make the wood components oversize in length by 1/8 to avoid breaking the mirror when assembling and clamping.

Reply to
dadiOH