Determining what size to cut rail and stiles

Page 2 of 2

Agreed. It's easier all the way around for installation now and possible replacement later, if glass of any type is laid into a channel and then held in place. Glazier points, strip of wood or something else that can be removed if and when that replacement is necessary.
On 4/16/2013 4:48 AM, Dave wrote:

I have 3 different glass sources and one includes delivery and installation in his price. The other two are about the same price as the first but you take the doors to them. They charge about $5 per piece of glass to install. All use a clear silicone like adhesive. If I break a piece of glass I am letting them do the work for $5.
dadiOH wrote:
I don't know whre my mind was when I wrote the post of mine I am esponding too but what I wrote was wrong. You have to consider molding width when figuring stile length but not when determining rail length.
In a perfect world, one in which all planned dimensions actually wind up as planned...
The rail length needs to be the width of the mirror: 30"
The stile length is height of the mirror + (2 x molding width) - (2 X groove depth) which is... 36 + (2 x 2.5) - (2 x 3/8) = 40 1/4"
I don't live in a perfect world so I would be making them 30 1/8 and 40 3/8.
--

dadiOH
On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:05:45 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

I thought rail length had to take into account the thickness of each stile plus the 3/8 tennon?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No. Not if your rail ends are butting into the stiles. Which is normal. Look at the diagram here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_and_panel and where it says "panel" substitute "mirror". As you can see, the length of the rails is the same as the "mirror".
When you cope (cut the profile) on the rail ends part of the result is a tongue (tenon). That tongue fits into the groove that your other bit cuts in the stiles just like the mirror (panel) does. Since both mirror and tenon go into the same groove, both have the same horizontal dimension. For an exact fit. As I keep saying, I'd make the wood components oversize in length by 1/8 to avoid breaking the mirror when assembling and clamping.
--

dadiOH