Destroying my tools?

Good gravy, I hope I dont get a bunch of incredulous angry responses to this question, but here goes...
I have been thinking about hammering down the sharp corners on my tools including my rosewood mortise gauge and Starrett combo square. I have found the corners to be so damned sharp that just brushing them in my apron accidently gives me scratches. They are also a uncomfortable to hold. I knocked down the edges of my wooden mallet and now I love to toss it in the air and catch it! I probably wont be doing that with the Starrett...
What is wrong with this idea? If I did go for it, on what areas or tools should I NOT ease the corners? Has anyone else tried this?
Thanks, please be kind.
Bob
Well, first off, I would try to file/sand off the corners to avoid possible killing the tools accuracy (Starrett combo square fir instance) or smashing it to bits (rosewood mortise gauge for instance).
Just running around banging things willy-nilly with a hammer may be fun, but not smart.
codepath

Chicks dig scars. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
well, I don't think I would knock the corners off any saw blades, chisels or planer blades and flippin them in the air to catch.
Ya gotta be kidding - right ? If this question was for real, then I suggest you give all your tools away before you really hurt yourself.

i know you're gonna catch hell for this post, but ive had to do it on a couple of my tools over the years. a piece of 400 grit meant for use on metal is all you need.
randy

It's not the tools. :)
But if you absolutely must, just use a stone to take off any burrs or even less invasive would be to buff them off with a buffing wheel and rouge.
David

On 20 Apr 2004 09:08:16 -0700, Bannerstone

Sure. Just make an adult decision; whatever turns your crank.
Dan.
On 19 Apr 2004 17:25:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote:

1. No hammering, please.
2. Look at the tool. Does the sharp corner serve any purpose? If not it is relatively easy to soften the impact with a stone or piece of sandpaper.
I've eased corner on lots of different tools (and other things) over the years. All it really takes is a bit of thought to determine if the corner or edge is actually sharp (square) for a reason. I don't have a Starrett combo square, but I did take all the sharp corners (not the edges) off of my cheap combo square. Those corners don't actually serve a purpose, so it didn't hurt anything. The edges, on the other hand, need to be square so it is easier to use it for measuring and marking.
YMMV
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote in message

On some tools, a blocky or sharp edge is a sign of poor craftsmanship (i.e. a saw handle) but on other tools it's a sign of fine craftsmanship. Starrett went to great lengths to grind well-defined, perpendicular faces and you want to change that? And your method of choice is hammering?

I would suggest that, under no circumstances, you ease the corners on the rule (blade) portion of your combo square. Just my $0.02.

Not yet but I plan to (maybe) file some sharp edges off of my bench vise.

Hehehe. Never hurts to ask. :-)
Cheers, Mike