desktop seam support question

So?

I'll reiterate after looking at the drawings again -- continue the front moulding around the corner (mitered, of course) and it'll be all the vertical support you need. And, doing so would really dress-up that plain facing end, as well.

--

Reply to
dpb

There is no front moulding, the top is solid slabs of hardwood. The bits of trim you see at the top of each cabinet is just that - bits of trim on the cabinets.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

That's what I'm talking about--that's an applied moulding.

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote: ...

..so continue it around the sides of the pedestals and you've got your support for the sides of the center section and a much nicer-looking end panel on the end panel.

--

Reply to
dpb

Hey DJ.. To me the most important consideration is expansion and contraction of that hardwood top. The center section will expand and contract across the grain towards the chair and as it does so the mitered joints between the top sections will expand and contract a bit also... much like any other mitered joint if it is not securely connected to the adjoining part in some manner. If you simple use a lap joint and do not fasten the pieces together, I'm pretty sure the seam will open with change in humidity and season. To me, it seems necessary to securely connect the top pieces together so this won't happen. Draw bolts with biscuits for alignment as you suggested sounds to me like a very good way to accomplish that. Basically you then have one tabletop and not three pieces. Since its solid wood you can't just screw base cabinets to the top and not allow it to expand and contract naturally or you risk the stress causing the top to crack. So you need to build a framework, like a web frame, into the top of the cabinets, and possibly but not necessarily, between the cabinets, that will support the top and allow you to connect the two in a way that won't prevent the top from expansion and contraction. There's a variety of ways to fasten the top... wooden buttons, metal fasteners, so on. The top basically floats on the cabinets. I think if you keep these considerations in mind you can figure this out for yourself..

"DJ Delorie" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@delorie.com...

Reply to
Jim Hall