Desk height?

Is there any standard for desk heights? All that I measure are between 29" and 30". However, the 2 secretaries I have measured (I am building a secretary) are 26".
I presume this is because they don't require clearance above the knees for drawers.
On the secretaries I checked, the drawers fit plenty snug and don't need any extra clearance above the knees. One was blonde and one was a redhead.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
Toller wrote:

We build these things quite often, building cabinets for a living and building them on a 32mm system ( a whole other topic) our desk heights come out around 31" to the top of the worksurface. I was always taught growing up that 30" was the standard, but if you get a person with large thighs at the desk or they are using the under the counter keyboard trays, the extra inch is always appreciated. Mostly, check and see who is using it and what they like if possible. What works for the intended use/person is what is correct, this may not end up being an industry standard.
Dan

exactamundo. I'm 6'5" and built a desk for myself that is a good inch or more above standard desk heights, so that my legs wouldn't hit the underside of the pencil drawer.
However, the OP's question was merely about standards.
dave
Dan wrote:

or that they take into account the height of a typewriter (remember those?)

That is pretty typical for traditional desks.

Many work surfaces that are intended for a computer keyboard and mouse are at that height to give better ergonomics.
I consider 30" standard for desks, 26" for keyboarding workstations.

My antique secretary is 30", has 3 drawers below the folddown.
HTH, Scott