Desk Chair

I went shopping to replace my current desk chair and didn't like anything I found available. I want one with the usual features, pneumatic height adjustment, back and seat angle adjustments. Does anyone know where the necessary hardware is available and whether any plans are available. My google skills are apparently inadequate.

try: ergonomic desk chair
John B wrote:

Try a Google search for "gas lift chair".
I have a feeling that it will probably be more cost effective to buy a chair and take it apart than to order the hardware for one.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I did not see the original post. I have some experience with this whole office chair thing. Over the years I have put together a number of offices and high end workstations. I have also broken down old office chairs for recycling. Here are my comments;
1) One interesting observation about the construction of the modern office chair is that it is a collection of parts that vary widely in quality. One part will last a thousand years of constant use. Other parts will die after a year or two.
If they built office chairs like good woodworking equipment, we would be able to buy replacement parts and keep them going forever. This would substantially reduce the sales and demand for office furniture. It ain't gonna happen.
2) In the last year or two, I have not been able to see an actual high end ergonomic chair in conventional channels. So I order them. If it doesn't work, you can usually return it. But if you buy wisely, you won't have to. This kind of product, like many others, is not available in many retail channels any more.
3) You get what you pay for. People pay big bucks for computers, tools cars, vacations, etc., but many choose the hundred buck special from the office big box store. Think of a good chair as a tablesaw. How much would you spend? I personally have found that no chair less than $450 to be that comfortable or last very long (for me). But I am a big guy too. The more that you pay, the more comfortable it is. And it lasts longer too.
4) Do some web searches and find out about good, ergonomic chairs. The more that you read (and experience sticker shock), the more that you will know.
What I did was lust after the "Aeon" chair. I couldn't afford it, but I found a reasonable knockoff at Costco. It still cost me about $425 though. But it is far superior to two cheaper knockoffs that I bought earlier. I am quite happy with it.
5) And to put it all into perspective, take a look at a high end chair. One popular model for the high end workstations if the "Verte chair". Anthro sells on model of this chair. Take a look at
http://www.anthro.com/cpage.aspx?pid "0
6) If you want quality in a reasonable period of time, it would be hard to imagine actually trying to build something like this. Change where you buy it, do some research and spend enough. It is like buying tools, you can cry once or you can cry every time you use it.
Lee
Lee Michaels wrote:

Minor nit--I've got a couple of Eero Saarinen office chairs that are exceedingly comfortable (for me they're more comfortable than an Aeron) that cost me 50 bucks for the pair on ebay (plus the gas to go pick 'em up). IBM blue and still had IBM property tags on 'em--he also had the mainframe that went with 'em <grin>. If you know what you're looking for you can occasionally find bargains.

I quit buying consumer chairs after I busted three of 'em in 6 months.

Really dependson what you want. If you want zillion-way adjustment then unless you want to become a chair designer you're probably better off buying. But http://www.swivel-chair-parts.com/SiteMap.html seems to have everything you need to put under your own seat and back assembly.
--John
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like the parts are going to cost more than a cheap chair.