desk

I'm getting ready to make a new desk for my office and have ran into a bit of a quandary. It's going to be made in sections so as to be able to get it in and out of the room. The main question I have is how would one fasten the leg panels to the top? I don't want to screw from the top down, but the leg panels need to be removable. And l brackets would be seen, and I'd rather not have that. But so far, that's my only way out. I'd really appreciate it if I had a couple other suggestions. The leg panels are going to be on the order of this desk from Staples.

attaching the legs to the desk top. The desk itself is entirely different. Thanks for any suggestions. BTW, I'm going to post a picture of the desk in ABPW in case anyone is afraid to click the link.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

the link doesn't work, do search for knockdown or kd hardware

Reply to
Duke of Burl

> Just attaching the legs to the desk top. The desk itself is entirely

Those things are put together with knock down or RTA (ready to assemble) hardware. Just use what they use.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Did you google 'desk top fasteners' or 'table top fasteners'?

Andy

you can do the whole thing using Kreg Pocket hole screws... easy to assemble and take apart.........Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Yea I was thinking about pocket hole screws. They would be a lot less visible than brackets. I had also tossed the idea of the knock down hardware as Duke proposed, but I put together an el cheapo shelf with them. Maybe cause it was an el cheapo shelf, but I didn't like the way it had wobble in it. I'll do some more checking. Thanks everybody.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

FWIW, I have a store-bought wooden desk that has stood up fine through a half a dozen moves and is showing no sag or wobble after 25 years of use. I just pulled the drawers and examined the construction. Turns out that each pedestal has two pieces of steel angle securing the pedestal to the top, with the angle placed _inside_ the pedestal where it's not visible.

If you have a pedestal with drawers on each side this would seem to be a very satisfactory solution. If it needs to be taken down regularly I'd put some threaded inserts in the wood rather than using wood screws--mine has never been apart.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"> FWIW, I have a store-bought wooden desk that has stood up fine through a

Well I wasn't planning on having pedestals, just going to be flat panels. I guess I could always mortise the angles in. That might not show too bad. I'm still in the planning stage on the whole thing, so I'm still checking my options. And no, it's not going to be taken apart on a regular basis. One I get it in the room, it's going to stay. I don't think they'll let me bring it to the funeral home, cause that's the next place I'm moving to! Thanks John.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Tim Taylor :

This might not be the way you want it, but I'm currently sitting by an oak desk that is from sometime in the latter half of the 19th century. Three parts; on my right is a set of drawers, hidden behind a door, on the left is a "cabinet", the desk itself has three drawers; one in the center and one over wash side. Basically the two sidepieces have a hole in the center (almost as large as the sides, minus 5 cm or so[1]), and the top has matching boards attached.

All fits nicely together, and each piece is manageable by itself. For all I know it was more or less standard office furniture (it was used by a prison chaplain in his office before it started wandering down the familly).

/Par

[1] I can't recall the details, and would need to empty out -- and clean! -- the desk to be able to lift it up and check. I *think* it was "octagonal" holes in the top, and four boards matching the "corners" on the top. ASCII art time:

Reply to
Par

Thanks Par. I think I catch what your getting at, but I'm trying not to have anything but just a flat piece for the supports. I'll try the art thing.

The I's are just 3/4 flat panels. I don't have a whole lot of room where this is going to put cabinets/drawers, They're going to be on the opposite wall. But I do appreciate the help!

Reply to
Tim Taylor