Designing

Every feature, every concept they can stuff into it.

Ayup.

Engineer Joe sez the Marketing Dept sez: "If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."

-- A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on. -- William S. Burroughs

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Babbage's Disease

Reply to
Swingman

Right, your job is to get the customer to want the feechurs, *after* you've signed the fixed-price contract.

Reply to
krw

There was always something in the works with our customer. We continually developed two systems simultaneously so that we could provide new versions faster. Our customer (Uncle Sam), always had new wishes. We were not sneaky about it. Just firm.

Reply to
Bill

Oh, yeah. Did that one a couple times!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I mean the first good sized project where it's down to you to design and get 'er done.

There is no complexity. Everything can be reduced to ones and zeros.

Same thing no matter what you build. Break it into bite sized chunks. Write the test for the chunk before the chunk. How will you know it works? More important, how will you know you are Done?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

When I was doing that I'd write the system test before a single line of code was written and the customer would Sign off on it. Every line in the System Test was cross referenced to a function in the Specifications, which they had also signed.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Our system had over 500K lines of code. If I asked you to implement a simple change, you would not look back at me and say there is no complexity. From a mathematical point of view, the whole system compiled to finite sequence of 0s and 1s, so in that sense the whole system is just a NUMBER--certainly a triviality, but not in real terms. I could give you the number above, or even the source code, and you'd STILL be searching, for days or perhaps even weeks, on where to make that simple change. That's why we got paid to do it.

Reply to
Bill

The length of the sequence is the critical factor! The length determine the complexity.

Reply to
Bill

Ah, government work. The money's not coming out of anyone's pocket, so it comes out in *buckets*. Been there, though not for long.

Reply to
krw

500K lines is quite small. In a properly written and documented system changes can be simple.
Reply to
Lobby Dosser

How many bits in a byte?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

8, why?
Reply to
Bill

Simple huh? Yes, I guess it can be. BTW, complexity is basically an exponential function of LOC, at least in a procedural world. Have fun.

Reply to
Bill

Consider a "sequence" of 0s and 1s with a subscript for every real number in (0,1) and another with a subscript for every integer. Do they have the same complexity because they both reduce to ones and zeros (explain)?

Reply to
Bill

"Unit testing" is something like that. I've never seen the work "chunk" used in a software engineering context. BTDTBTTS...

How will you know it

Reply to
Bill

Bzzzt! Wrong answer. The size of a "byte" determined by the computer's architecture. It's defined as 8-bits in all current computers that I know of, but it's interesting to note that even C (or C++) doesn't define "Byte" as being 8-bits.

Reply to
krw

Depends - on a IBM 709x, 36 bit words, 6 bytes to a word, 6 bit bytes...

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

You appear to derive too much satisfaction from that.

The size of a "byte" determined by the computer's

As far as I know, C/C++ doesn't define Byte at all.

Reply to
Bill

As a professional, you should know that.

Define? It's not fixed, if that's what you mean. It's not fixed because the term "byte" isn't fixed. Networking folks use the term "octet" for a reason.

Reply to
krw