Designing

Page 4 of 5

A LITTLE BIT? He make joke.

Got insulation in the roof yet? Just drill 4" holes and blow it in if you have a finished floor up there. Cover with a strip of carpeting. ;)
-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand
Larry Jaques wrote:

I have a half-finished floor up there. And part is not even (very) accessible. Unfortunately this project is not near the top of my list for now. My little black "shop mole" is just going to half to tough it out.
Bill

Aren't all the joists open lengthwise? Blow it in!

HUH? Whassat?
-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand
Larry Jaques wrote:

Awe, you missed my two posts about my furry, black shop mole? One was sort of funny...I'll see if I can locate the posts later.

Oh, that's the little guy who wandered in one day? I do remember it, vaguely.
-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand
Larry Jaques wrote:

Actually, mine run the other way, and half are under a very shallow part of the roof, and I don't know whether they are accessible. I suppose everything is accessible through the ceiling. I'll probably look into that someday. One project at a time! :)
Do you know where to get seals (rubber stripping) for around the frame of an electric garage door? Mine is 1/3-gone. I think that is something I should replace first.
Bill

Agreed.
BORGs all have 'em. Buy a whole new set for under $20. Get the bottom seal, too. I picked one up for $13.95 about 6 months ago at a local home improvement store.
-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand
Larry Jaques wrote:

Ayup.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100353490/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Comes in white and brown IIRC.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Larry Jaques wrote:

Larry, I am just curious. What, specifically, were you thinking of when you wrote that? Just the DP baseboard or something more?
Bill

You tend to go way overboard on getting details (for every project), so I was kidding you about it. No offense intended.
-- A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on. -- William S. Burroughs

I plan somewhere between 80-90% of a project before starting. Usually it's just drawing a picture and adding notes with arrows to call out details I'm either too lazy or too inexperienced to draw properly. I do enjoy the design part, but have only so much patience to work on any one project. If it takes too long, I'll quit working on it for months (or longer) and get back to it.
Puckdropper

I do make money doing this but...
1. If I had to give up woodworking I would continue to draw woodworking projects. 2. I hate to solve problems in the shop when they can be solved at the computer before buying materials. 3. I do spend a lot of time designing at the computer however it probably saves me 2~3 times over in the shop. 4. Computer drawings are my detailed instructions that details how everything should be cut and how the pieces will fit.
My first really large project with Sketchup, Cutlist 4.0, and Cutlist Plus was the bedroom Tower project that I was posting about 12-14 months ago. Almost with blind faith I depended on the Sketchup drawings for assembly, Cutlist 4.0 to gather all information about the 300+ components in the drawings and import into Cutlist Plus for optimizing my materials. I did double check, but initial data importation was accurate.
Designing is absolutely part to of the work and absolutely a large portion of the fun.

I was reminded of that thing when I watched the voluptuous Catherine Zeta-Jones in "Entrapment". Linked is the building I refer to. ;) http://tinyurl.com/4squez8 (Eat your heart out, Petronas!)

Amen, bruddah.
-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

LOL, absolutely how they looked when moving into the master bedroom in the new house. The towers grew a top which made them too tall to simply slide up-right through the door opening, unless I removed the tops.
Sooo we laid them over and carried them into the bedroom, me on one end, my son on the other. The trouble here was the fact that you ender the bedroom through a short hallway now instead of straight in. The towers came in contact with the door jam on both sides and the end corner of the hall wall. Basically the towers were in contact with "house parts" at 3 different locations. Fortunately the towers were not 1/64" wider or deeper or I would have had to remove the tops. It was a perfect fit, no loss of paint from the either side of the jams or the wall, but there was a slight bit of resistance. Whew!, again.

<g>
Are the walls still blue in places, Leon? I'd imagine a large blue cloud around that particular little move. Heh heh heh.
-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand
I used to be a software developer, I am still in the business but in a diff position.
I believe in software that planning for the problems is the key goal. Too often I see idiot programmers doing the job, but not handling the errors properly coming up with useless buggy code that is not sustainable.
I take the same approach with woodworking. I look for my problems. Then plan around it.
The design is the easy part, answering the hicups is the other. Such hickups are making sure the order is correct. Somethings need to be cut before shaping, others are opposite. Somethings will intefere with another feature.. I look for these after the initial idea and refine.
I can keep a very simple sketch.. but I keep a detailed list of the steps that I see me falling over. To make sure I don't fall over them.
On 1/11/2011 11:31 AM, Bill wrote:

Maybe some interest.... http://www.outbackpatio.com/infoteakoutdoorfurniture.html see where it says teak doesn't float and has to be hauled by elephant because it can't be floated.
Now other sites say it can be floated based on specific gravity. I'll let you decide.
On 1/11/2011 12:54 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

tiredofspam wrote:

Naval ships are made out of steel, no? So there is more to the matter than the specific gravity of a substance. Unless it's your elephant, why do you care? ;)
Bill

If the weight of a ship is less than the weight of the water it displaces, it floats. If heavier than the water, it sinks. Teak will float if boat shaped. ;~)
Leon wrote:

That's pretty deep when you stop to think about it. Who decides? ; )