Designing

Page 2 of 5

I mean the first good sized project where it's down to you to design and get 'er done.

There is no complexity. Everything can be reduced to ones and zeros.
Same thing no matter what you build. Break it into bite sized chunks. Write the test for the chunk before the chunk. How will you know it works? More important, how will you know you are Done?

--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Our system had over 500K lines of code. If I asked you to implement a simple change, you would not look back at me and say there is no complexity. From a mathematical point of view, the whole system compiled to finite sequence of 0s and 1s, so in that sense the whole system is just a NUMBER--certainly a triviality, but not in real terms. I could give you the number above, or even the source code, and you'd STILL be searching, for days or perhaps even weeks, on where to make that simple change. That's why we got paid to do it.

The length of the sequence is the critical factor! The length determine the complexity.

How many bits in a byte?
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
Lobby Dosser wrote:

8, why?

Consider a "sequence" of 0s and 1s with a subscript for every real number in (0,1) and another with a subscript for every integer. Do they have the same complexity because they both reduce to ones and zeros (explain)?

If you go looking for complexity you will find it.
You happen to be among those who look for and even expect complexity. It's not there.

--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Bzzzt! Wrong answer. The size of a "byte" determined by the computer's architecture. It's defined as 8-bits in all current computers that I know of, but it's interesting to note that even C (or C++) doesn't define "Byte" as being 8-bits.

You appear to derive too much satisfaction from that.
The size of a "byte" determined by the computer's

As far as I know, C/C++ doesn't define Byte at all.

As a professional, you should know that.

Define? It's not fixed, if that's what you mean. It's not fixed because the term "byte" isn't fixed. Networking folks use the term "octet" for a reason.

As a professional what? You don't even know what I do.

No, I mean Byte is not a C/C++ keyword. We went from modeling and complexity to trivia. Aim high.

I thought you talked about programming for a government contractor.

I don't know how to spell C (or at least I have my boss convinced), but:
http://www.search.com/reference/Byte#History
"Various implementations of C and C++ define a "byte" as 8, 9, 16, 32, or 36 bits" [1]
[1] "The C++ language guarantees a byte must always have at least 8 bits. But there are implementations of C++ that have more than 8 bits per byte."
Reading it again, perhaps they're really talking about "Char".

Yes, I did that 25 years ago.

Yes, They define "byte" but not "Byte" as I said. C is case-sensitive.

You mean "char"? :)
Maybe you are a Java or C# programmer?

Another reason I despise C.

You gotta be kidding. I'm a hardware designer. It's either assembler or VHDL. If it's not programmed at the metal, they can find someone cheaper. I want no part of it. ;-)

That's as "complex" as it gets.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
On 01/15/2011 05:33 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

How complex can you get in 6 bits?
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

500K lines is quite small. In a properly written and documented system changes can be simple.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Simple huh? Yes, I guess it can be. BTW, complexity is basically an exponential function of LOC, at least in a procedural world. Have fun.

No, Bill, it is not. LOC has nothing to do with 'complexity'.