Design question

If I make a china cabinet with full inset drawers in the middle section of the lower cabinet, flanked by overlay doors on either side, is that a design faux pas? I've tried finding examples of mixing inset drawers with overlay doors--no luck. Maybe that's because it's a bad idea. Please don't say it's just a personal choice. :)

Dave

Reply to
David

Disclaimer: I'm no design genius

That being said, I wouldn't do it. Save yourself the hassle of creating that perfectly even gap around full inset drawer fronts and keep the appearance of drawers and doors consistent.

my .02

jc

Reply to
noonenparticular

I see your point about the hassle. I've never made full insert drawers. I want to take my furniture building to the "next level". I just might go bonkers in the process though. :)

Dave

Reply to
David

When I picture it it doesn't seem right to me. I think it is the mixing=20 of the styles.

Flush inset drawers make me think "modern" 20th century onwards. Overlay =

make me think "traditional" and country style.

However -- will you "angle" the sides or install trim so that there is a =

clear separation of styles? If the front is "flat" I don't think it will =

work visually.

If it is a "modern" piece it has a possibility of working. If the=20 drawers in the sides and the drawer hardware is clearly modern style it=20 might work. imo

If you have TurboCad or Autocad with at least Isometric and shading, I=20 would construct the piece and spin it around for a look.

I just started working with CAD again (TurboCAD deluxe). It just saved=20 an expensive mistake on a reno... When swmbo viewed what she asked for=20 she agreed with me that her vision would not work -- so we went back to=20 my plan A.

My $.02 -- No cheques please... :-)

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

In set doors or drawers are not a problem as long as you make everything square. I am in fact building a Long Arm sewing machine cabinet right now and it has inset drawers in the middle between 6" wide front side panels that have 18" wide inset drawers on each end of the cabinet. I square the doors up on the TS after building them a bit over sized to fit the opening. While squaring I tweak to fit.

IMHO It is easier to have drawer fronts, doors, and face frames all on different planes. This looks cool and prevents you from having to have every thing line up. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Tue, Nov 29, 2005, 1:42pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com (David) mumbled: If I make a china cabinet with full inset drawers in the middle section of the lower cabinet, flanked by overlay doors on either side, is that a design faux pas? I've tried finding examples of mixing inset drawers with overlay doors--no luck. Maybe that's because it's a bad idea. Please don't say it's just a personal choice. :)

Sheesh. It's a no brainer. If that's what you want, make it, it's your money, and it's a personal choice. Then if you don't like it, sell it, or give it to someone you don't like. No prob.

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

I haven't got a CAD program. If I had one, I'm not sure I'd know how to design with it.

It's gonna have fluted edges set at 45 degrees to the front and sides. the center portion with the drawers will stick out about 1.5 inches. There will be a base molding that anchors the entire cabinet visually to the floor--no feet.

I'm having a heck of a time with resolving the doors with the drawer fronts. Both style and inset vs overlay.

Dave

Reply to
David

My recent post mentioned my placing the center section with drawers forward of the remainder of of the carcase. I've got a bedroom set that has a triple dresser with a center section that juts out and I really like that style.

Leon, have you got a pictures of what you've got so far on the sewing machine cabinet you are making?

Dave

Reply to
David

Some think Picasso is a freakin' genius, and he put your eyeball on the end of your nose. Apprentices used to make miniatures. Try your hand with some doll's house furniture, then step back and take a look.

Reply to
Guess who

David wrote in news:Fc6dnZPoa snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I'm just finishing a doored book storage cabinet and am planning inset doors, although I have been toying with lipped doors. I'm not sure that I would mix and match though. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with being inovative.

I like to draw all of my designs in 3D CAD first to try out things like this. Although it's not the same as the real thing, it does help visuallize.

Why not dimension the overlay doors so that if you don't like the way they look, you can shave off the overlay and convert them into matching inset doors.

Good luck

-G

Reply to
High Score

I have ISO CAD that I can convert to PDF. Or, in 3 to 5 days I will have pictures. I am currently applying the finish, black and red stain and have every thing separated at the moment. Clear coats began today on the drawer fronts and doors which will reveal the natural Ash.

Reply to
Leon

It is $169 at turbocad.com -- includes the 2D and 3D training videos.=20 Plan on 1 to 2 months of part time work on it to get real comfortable.=20 It is a great investment, If you have the time and the money

I don't think that one does design with a CAD program -- not in the=20 visual sense. Rather it is a technical tool to allow you to express your =

ideas (designs) in a more concrete form. Then you can use it to look at=20 the 3D rendering and have a "sober second view" of your idea in a shaded =

3D rendering. With TurboCAD professional you can even put the wood grain =

on the material -- maybe even the deluxe.

CAD is a design tool in the sense that it will allow you to express your =

ideas quickly and coherently and then have exact dimensions with which=20 to construct the pieces for the finished work. Carefully used it can=20 prevent dimensioning errors and allow you to see how the joinery will wor= k.

Visual separation on the center cabinet -- That could work then. Might I =

suggest a consistent style of drawer front then...? Make them all the=20 same shape and keep all appearances the same. Then it will tie together=20 visually. For example -- all plain and simple squares or all with a=20 groove inset from the edges or all with the same applique etc...

Also if you are going to have a "conflict" in the styles, then I would=20 suggest plainer grain on the wood.

Of course these idea bring your bill to a total of $.04.

Where do you want the focus?

To me this idea would work best with a 3 door cabinet. The center might=20 look best if it is the same as the center drawers and the side doors in=20 the same style as the drawers below them. (Knife hinges will be=20 hidden... keep the look clean.) You could use Euro Hinges on the sides.

Since the front will be plainer in style and form, it could look odd=20 unless you draw the eye to the center. I suggest some simple (elegant)=20 inlay inset from the drawer and door edges -- with a slight contrast in=20 colour. Get one of those geometric styles -- triangles, rectangles and=20 such... You can buy this style of banding ready made.

Maybe I should ask for $.06 ...

Also, I think it would look best with the Golden Mean proportioning=20

1.62:1 The 1:2:3 proportioning might work as well. When you get to the=20 point where you are assigning proportions do some quick sketches and=20 fiddle with the elements. (Root two -- 1.41:1 -- might look too squat )

This is where a CAD program with constraints can be a real boon. Just=20 change the constraints and re-proportion the design. Then the CAD tool=20 is being used for design as opposed to "simply" expressing your design.

Hmm better make it $.08 if you use these ideas.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

I agree.

Well, they create somewhat different associations for me (imagining a Newport Chest with shell carvings on blockfront drawers that have a lip overlaying the chest kinda turns the stomach). I think of flush (doors or drawers) as more "formal" or "fine furniture" and overlay (doors or drawers) as more "informal", "rustic", "early American", or "kitchen cabinet". But this is based on my own impressions, not any design expertise. In any case, I think the mix would look odd.

Dave, you said you were going to try to do flush drawers to expand your repertoire. Why not also do flush doors, assuming that flush fits in with the rest of the style of the piece?

And now he has $.04. He'll soon be a rich man if none of us send a bill for design services!.

Reply to
alexy

Cool, I look forward to the pics and or the pdf files if you'll be so kind as to post them. I swore to myself I'd complete the drawings on Monday, and here it is Wed and no finished plans. I'm in procrastination mode, which I detest, so I'm stressed.

Dave

Reply to
David

Because I do not sell my plans I do not complete them. The drawings give a good idea of what the chest will look like but does not really give a good idea of how the front drawers and side doors look and or fit into the chest. The finished pictures will give a better example. I'll post the pdf's now and the finished chest this weekend.

Reply to
Leon