design question

Page 2 of 2

Sorry, I meant to say, "If we would apply...", thus impugning the argument, rather than the arguer.

Shazzam, Igor - we hardly got our shoes warm :)
Have a good one.

That's less than 1/8". Are things that bad? Did you mean 7/32"? -- Igor

YES... And please disregard EVERYTHING that I have had to say on this thread... Damn...

The 1/4" ply will be fine but will net out to be a little less thick that 1/4", so make sure you have your stock before machining your ploughs.
Also, be aware that the face veneer of hardwood plywood comes in many grades and cuts.
I would look for a Flatsawn veneer, rather than the Radial cut that is too often found in home centers. The flatsawn will give you the appearance of solid stock.
You must also decide if the appearance of the inside of your doors is important enough to buy a ply with two high grade faces.
If the doors will be open much of the time you may want to use A/A ply - that is ply that has two top grade faces. You would not be too bad off with A/1, or even some instances of A/2.
HTH
Tom.

For non-load bearing, like door panels, you might use 1/4" [but I'd do raised wood panels for that, or at least add some sort of design for appearance.] For load bearing, I'd go to 1/2". Personally though I'd use at least 1/2" all round.

The panels can be 1/4" thick as they don't have much effect on the structural strength. Ply thickness can vary, so you'll have to get the ply before cutting the grooves.
Keep in mind that it's sometimes difficult to find 1/4" plywood that has a good oak side on both sides (as most of the times, it's used for the backs, so only one good side shows). You'll see both sides in your plans (I'm guessing).
Wood Magazine had an article this past year with plans for something similiar (an entertainment center with 1/4 plywood panels in frames). Theirs was cherry, but obviously you could make it oak.