Design Feedback Please

Page 1 of 2
The drawer pulls are not in the CAD. Feedback and criticism welcomed:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum/showthread.php?tid#6&pid 08#pid1608
On 2/15/2013 5:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Looks good but I think I would consider letting the center front stile extend and support the middle of the top and have a cut out in the center of the back panel for cables to go through.
FWIW I did a miniature version sorta, many moons ago for a customer. Small table to fit between two chairs to set TV controllers on with a drawer to hold a pistol.
Walnut and wenge
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8477729050/in/photostream/lightbox/
On Friday, February 15, 2013 7:22:31 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

The wife already told me that she doesn't want a back panel. One less piece of ply to buy :) This stand is for our kids TV which will house Playstation/Wii etc. The fully open back will make it much easier to connect everything.
Thanks for taking a peek Leon!

IMHO I think it would look better if the drawer sides went all the way to the back and hid the end grain of the drawer back. Otherwise it looks good to me. Art
On 2/15/2013 6:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Inspriational piece is awesome.
--
Jeff

On Friday, February 15, 2013 8:57:00 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

Yes! I saw that piece in a shop in Northern Virginia and had to snap a few photos.

wrote in message
The drawer pulls are not in the CAD. Feedback and criticism welcomed:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum/showthread.php?tid#6&pid 08#pid1608
Very interesting design. May use this idea someday. thanks. WW
Considering the weight of today's big TV's - sheets of glass ... and sheets of semiconductor.
I'd beef up the legs. Looks like 2x2 - how about 3x3 ?
Martin
On 2/15/2013 5:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

On 2/16/2013 12:31 AM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

You're kidding right? My 55" LED tv is less than 80lbs. My old tube TV was 250lbs. 2x2 is way overkill.
--
Jeff

On 2/16/13 11:17 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Agreed. If those skinny little high heals will hold a broad up while walking... Sorry that was sexist. I meant, "chick."
--

-MIKE-

On 2/16/2013 11:50 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Geez MIKE have you never seen one of those heel spikes break???? LOL
On 2/16/13 3:16 PM, Leon wrote:

Yes, and almost without exception, it is hilarious.
--

-MIKE-

It's even funnier when you see them trying to walk with one spike broken, then finally curse, give up, remove the other shoe and walk barefoot.
On 2/16/13 3:46 PM, Dave wrote:

And damn, is it not sexy when they remove those things? (:-O
--

-MIKE-

On 2/16/2013 4:00 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

No kidding, they should continue to walk on their tip toes. ;~)

Obviously. That's why high heels are so popular. The extending of the female foot causes the butt to stick out rearwards and the breasts to project out frontward.
Sure, high heels originated in China to increase height, but I'm sure that changed really fast into men promoting them for appearance under the guise of fashion.
On 2/16/2013 11:17 AM, woodchucker wrote:

I think he might be suggesting biggerfor appearance vs strength, properly supported 3/4" square legs could hold up a thousand pounds. At least that is what they use under water beds.
Actually if you round over corners on legs they will look larger.
Yea my LED out in the shop is raised up in a corner.
My 60" plasma sits in the living room. Takes two real men to lift it. My wife and I could just barely slide it along the floor atop cardboard to get it into the place it needed to be lifted up on.
I have a 25" glass tube HD tv from the first run at HD years ago. It has lasted 30 years (close anyway) before the heat got to it last summer.
Martin
On 2/16/2013 11:17 AM, woodchucker wrote:

On Friday, February 15, 2013 6:56:53 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Thanks for all the input!
I made a few modifications: http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum/showthread.php?tid#6&pid 09#pid1609
On 2/16/2013 10:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

I think I agree with Artemus about the exposure of the drawer fronts and backs, I would hide them. Perhaps you have not yet addressed that detail yet. And again you have a pretty long span, almost 5' I just built a new 8' long desk with a 60" span between drawer units. I used 7 on edge pieces of plywood 3" wide and one solid oak on edge to support the top span. What i have on the desk over the span would not weigh as much as an average LCD TV. Nixing the center stile adding support you might want to consider more rails under the top to add support.
Otherwise looks good.