Design comments requested

Page 2 of 2
On 4/10/2015 7:08 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

They are visually more pleasing, and go well with that look. But that's just my opinion.
--
Jeff

Hmmm, not as easy to answer as I first thought.
The arches definately lighten the piece. OTOH, they tend to make the legs look a little heavy and blocky. I don't think you'd want to taper the legs because of the mortise-tenon for the lower rails. Maybe a stopped chamfer would complement the arch?
The non-arched version has something to say for itself in it's simplicity - square legs, square rails, square top, kind of a repeating theme (*).
You'd almost have to build both of them and see them "in the flesh" to really know which is better.
John
(* "square" as in rectilinear, not literally all four sides the same)
John McCoy wrote:

I don't think I'd want to build a kitchen for you! ;)
On 4/10/2015 8:12 PM, John McCoy wrote:

I see you are not acquainted with my pace of work and my available time. :)

When I was younger and had more energy, I'd sometimes build something out of construction lumber & plywood to see what it looked like, and then do it over in quality wood.
Now, like you, I find I only have enthusiasm to do things once.
That said, you could mock up just the rails both ways and dry-fit them to see which you liked better.
John
On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 8:13:49 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:

Anyone have a 3D printer lying around?
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 07:08:48 -0400

change the arch so the curve's up the luck won't run out?
On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 8:12:26 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

He hasn't told us, yet, but the arch curving up design is for his next set of side tables, shoulder-arch-shoulder contour, with a shell or scalloped c arving (or applique) centered on each arch. : ) This thread is his sneak y, subtle way of poking us with a pointy stick, before he springs this othe r design idea, on us.
I vote for the arched design.
Sonny
On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 05:26:39 -0700 (PDT)

interesting will have to wait and see
I do like the subtle arch. And I like showing the joinery. Very nice. yes, I would like to see a finished project. John
"Greg Guarino" wrote in message
I'm still tweaking my design. I'm curious to know who prefers this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/17097433215/in/album-72157639547178715/
and who prefers this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/16890030957/in/album-72157639547178715/
You can actually switch between the designs more easily with your left and right arrows. You'll get perspective and parallel views of each. The only difference is the arched rails.

I think its going to be a matter of matching your other furniture rather than an over riding question of preference.
On 4/10/2015 6:08 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Another approach for consideration: not uncommon in this style of furniture to arch just the bottom rail and leave the top rail straight.
That can work nicely if you also taper the inside faces of the legs:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopArtsCraftsHallTable2011#5583629056112976642
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopArtsCraftsStyleEndTable200303#5679351496259490898
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com