Design comments requested

I'm still tweaking my design. I'm curious to know who prefers this:

and who prefers this:

You can actually switch between the designs more easily with your left and right arrows. You'll get perspective and parallel views of each. The only difference is the arched rails.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I strongly prefer the version with arches. Of course, whichever details you choose should fit with it's destination (as to "form and function"). All that work and no drawer??? : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I prefer the arched one.

What I don't care for are all the protrusions...tenons, splines, legs. I know you are itching to make them but I find them distracting...they interrupt the visual flow.

Reply to
dadiOH

The arches! Breaks up all the straight lines. I almost always add curves or arches to my pieces now.

Reply to
Leon

"Itching" may not be quite accurate. It's more a combination of "intrigued" and "afraid". :)

But I will whip up some variations and see what I think. Thanks.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Arched one here too, but I like the protrusions. Looking forward so seeing the finished product.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Arches

Reply to
Meanie

I prefer the arched aprons. They are visually more pleasing, and go well with that look. But that's just my opinion.

Reply to
woodchucker

Greg Guarino wrote in news:mg8atc$e40$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Hmmm, not as easy to answer as I first thought.

The arches definately lighten the piece. OTOH, they tend to make the legs look a little heavy and blocky. I don't think you'd want to taper the legs because of the mortise-tenon for the lower rails. Maybe a stopped chamfer would complement the arch?

The non-arched version has something to say for itself in it's simplicity - square legs, square rails, square top, kind of a repeating theme (*).

You'd almost have to build both of them and see them "in the flesh" to really know which is better.

John

(* "square" as in rectilinear, not literally all four sides the same)

Reply to
John McCoy

change the arch so the curve's up the luck won't run out?

Reply to
Electric Comet

I do like the subtle arch. And I like showing the joinery. Very nice. yes, I would like to see a finished project. John

I'm still tweaking my design. I'm curious to know who prefers this:

and who prefers this:

You can actually switch between the designs more easily with your left and right arrows. You'll get perspective and parallel views of each. The only difference is the arched rails.

Reply to
jloomis

I don't think I'd want to build a kitchen for you! ;)

Reply to
Bill

This must be my 15th design for an end table; not that I've *built* any, mind you. :) Some had drawers. But we don't particularly need drawers, and this design does have a storage nook under the middle panel. It's not that practical, but it's cute and we'll probably store pens and coasters in there.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Me too. But I work slowly (not on purpose, it just turns out that way) and I don't have a lot of spare time. So expect a few months lead time. :)

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I see you are not acquainted with my pace of work and my available time. :)

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I think its going to be a matter of matching your other furniture rather than an over riding question of preference.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

He hasn't told us, yet, but the arch curving up design is for his next set of side tables, shoulder-arch-shoulder contour, with a shell or scalloped c arving (or applique) centered on each arch. : ) This thread is his sneak y, subtle way of poking us with a pointy stick, before he springs this othe r design idea, on us.

I vote for the arched design.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Greg Guarino wrote in news:mgb0v2$sg0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

When I was younger and had more energy, I'd sometimes build something out of construction lumber & plywood to see what it looked like, and then do it over in quality wood.

Now, like you, I find I only have enthusiasm to do things once.

That said, you could mock up just the rails both ways and dry-fit them to see which you liked better.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

interesting will have to wait and see

Reply to
Electric Comet

Another approach for consideration: not uncommon in this style of furniture to arch just the bottom rail and leave the top rail straight.

That can work nicely if you also taper the inside faces of the legs:

Swingman