Design Cad 3D Max price doubled

Page 2 of 2
eI must be obsessing on this clamp thing...sorry.
For those that might be interested, I called Bessey today (actually their New York distributor) to ask about the "jig and fixture" clamp. First they said few people carry it because it's such a niche market but any could order it...
Second, she said suggested retail was between $120 and $140. Ouch. That's getting close to the cost of a new router, or a new hand plane!
They don't sell pads to prevent wood bruising. Also, it is probably overkill as a hold down clamp - over 200 pounds of pressure possible. There is a Jorgenson competitor but after I account for the 3 inch thickness of my bench, there's only 1.5 inches left. Bummer.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote in message

On 11 Sep 2004 06:32:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber4388>
they're a clone of the jorgensen 3700 bar clamp: http://www.adjustableclamp.com/bl-3700.htm
Doh! I get it now, "HF" for "Harbor Freight" -- I was thinking it was a style of clamp. I was dreaming up things like "Handy Fastener" or "Heavy Fastener" or "Hands Free" (Hah!).....
Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in message (Never Enough

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in message wrote:

HF has had 48" clamps for years:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber8185
H.
On 14 Sep 2004 15:25:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sewanee.edu (Hylourgos) wrote:

true. they could have reviewed those. they sort of did, in that they reviewed the jet version of that clamp. it was rated as the worst of the lot, IIRC. it failed after a few rounds of testing...
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in message wrote:

I don't doubt that. I had two or three of them at one time (the HF version), and they worked OK for a few projects, but always felt a bit flimsy, so I migrated to pipe clamps and have been satisfied with them ever since. For "budget" clamps, the pipe is mightier than than the HFbar.
H.
This was maybe a month ago, and suspect I only checked at the IMSI site for their prices, and they don't offer that. Don't have the FWW handy, but seem to recall they mentioned multiple CDs, and my impression is that only the Introduction CD comes with that Yahoo store offer.
If anybody has this, I'd be interested in how far that one training CD takes you.
Guess I should have known better than to just check the manufacturer for a price:-)
GerryG
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:02:23 -0700, Larry Jaques

For what its worth - Half of my Pipe Clamps are Pony's, the other half are Harbor Freight. Pony's are nice, but I bought Just as many HF's for 1/3rd the price.
Besides - I grab my "K" Bodies anytime I need to do a critical glue up
--
Gregory Paolini - Roycroft Renaissance Artisan
Handcrafted Custom Furniture & Cabinetry

The HF pipe clamps aren't much worse than the Pony crap. I thought I had bought the HF clamps until I looked closely one day and found a PONY on the end of one. I have a feeling that they're all made in the same factory in China anyway. ;)

What glueup is ever non-critical?
------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online -------------------------------------------------------------
Hi - I figured I should respond to this post - I might have a little intimate knowledge of the subject.
I'll give you a little back ground here - The article was actually written in January and February of '04. At the time, the software reviewed was the latest version, and the prices were all correct. Between the time I reviewed the software, and the article was actually printed, DesignCAD was fully purchased by IMSI software, and a newer version of designCAD was released: Version 15. Apparently Version 15 can still be purchased for $99, but only comes with 1 training CD.
In all honesty, I don't believe that DesignCAD or IMSI knew how I evaluated either of their software products until the Magazine hit the News Stands - Never the Less, I wish they still kept the pricing the same.
I'm not Familiar at all with Version 15 of their software, but what I can say is if Version 15 is anything like 14, then it's still a decent buy -
Hope this answers some questions - Thanks for reading!
Gregory Paolini - Roycroft Renaissance Artisan Handcrafted Custom Furniture & Cabinetry
www.GregoryPaolini.com

Based on the FWW article, I downloaded the trial version of this program; DesignCAD 3D Max 15. I have absolutely no knowledge of CAD. When I found that the help was no help at all, I contacted the company. They tried to sell me the "Platinum version" but provided a link for free online tutorials. Unfotunately, the tutorials were set up for version 14, so they didn't work quite right for the newer version and even then, there was no explanation of how everything worked. I didn't buy the program although if I do buy it later, I'll likely spring for the platinum version so that I can actually learn what all the included functions mean and do.
Ed
I agree, Ed. It's really a shame they didn't do some work on their help system. After giving up on them with the same experience as you, I brought up another CAD program I haven't used for years. With just their normal help menus I was productive inside an hour.
Before going for their platinum version, it might be good to hear from a few people on how far that tutorial actually takes you, since they also sell more advanced ones and, if you end up needing them, the price goes up a bit. GerryG