dent repair

I want to fix some superficial dents in the rails on a pool table. Most of these are shallow and did not break the surface (they look like they came from impact with billiard balls). Any thoughts on using burn in sticks vs drop filling with lacquer? I assume the finish is some kind of lacquer.
Thanks.
Charles
On 4/19/12 12:14 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Yeah, but our trolls can't go to youtube because their moms still have dial-up.
--

-MIKE-

I have steamed out dents before very successfully on unfinished wood, but have read that the steam would likely damage a finished surface and also didn't know if it would effectively penetrate through the finish anyway. As far as why I assume lacquer, it's because I think (but am not sure) that the finish seemed to get a little softer with lacquer thinner in an inconspicous area.
Charles
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If you aren't sure then either you are exceedingly indecisive/cautious or it isn't lacquer.
If it is lacquer, it wouldn't just get a bit softer, it would melt...it would be liquid and sticky.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:28:58 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Steam them out???
On Apr 19, 8:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yep - It takes some care and that is why Mike suggested Googling. The process usually involves putting a damp cloth over the dent and VERY CAREFULLY applying heat with a hot iron (or similar source). This forces small amounts of steam into the wood fibers, expanding the wood. On finished wood, that hasn't been marred, you might have to introduce a few small needle pricks to allow the seam past the finish. I have pulled dents mostly out of table tops without filling.
Now - I have said too much. The OP needs to follow the original suggestion and Google for some YouTube or other direction. If you screw up you can stain the wood.
RonB

I wasn't questioning steaming it out. It was a suggestion - as in "have you thought to steam it out?"
On Apr 19, 9:43pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Oh. Sorry about that. Mike suggested steaming about two responses down. I misunderstood.
RonB