Denatured alcohol

Page 3 of 3
Holy Cow,
I didn't want to start a controversial thread, but I do appreciate the feedback I got. I had asked at the local Home Depot and the people in the paint department were unfamiliar with denatured alcohol, I guess like someone posted, we have to have a permit for it in Canada.
Thanks to all for the input,
Blair

Making denatured alcohol is not a tiny business in Canada. A lot is used in gasoline. I can see needing a permit for making and importing it, but not for buying it in small quantities.
Try Fisher Scientific Canada: <http://catalog.fishersci.ca/catalog/en/Default.asp?cat=ChemicalDry%2DOrganicNon%2DGraded&expand=True#ChemicalDry-OrganicNon-Graded
If they can't sell it directly, they may be able to point you to someone who can.
Mike
Denatured alcohol is usually sold as "Shellac Thinner" at the Borg, so look for that instead.
Joe Drunk
: Does anyone know if denatured alcohol is interchangeable with other : solvents? I have to spray some Zinser BIN primer but the can says I have to : clean the sprayer afterwards with denatured alcohol. The sprayer is : borrowed from a friend, so I don't want to experiment with it. The Borg : don't seem to sell this and neither do the other local hardware stores. : Maybe I will have to try a painting store.
: Blair

My local Borg sells it as denatured alcohol. They all deal with the same supplier so look for a big (gallon sized?) blue can. I don't think they carry it in small cans. Some HD stores don't carry it at all. Another HD I frequent explained that nobody buys it (or lacquer thinner) except drug addicts so they won't stock it. Don't ask me what drug addiction has to do with it - I just use it for shellac.
--
Cheers,
Howard

isopropyl may be an acceptable substitute, but it is not the same as denatured alcohol.
-j
It's called "huffing," and it's not the addict, it's the middle-schooler who normally huffs. By Jr High there're normally enough pushers to provide a high, and enough money from home to buy it.
http://www.inhalants.org / http://www.napafasa.org/huffing.htm
From nitrous oxide in Redi-Whip, through gasoline and foot spray, they'll do whatever's at hand.

do
George, you seem to know an awful lot about this subject... :)
dave
George wrote:

EMS will do that for you. You get to see and perhaps treat the whacked, the wild, and even the dead (by hanging) who were huffing.

who
they'll do

And sometimes the fried... a few years ago, two local teens were huffing propane inside a van. One of them lit a cigarette.
is anyone working that field get "used" to what they see? Can you stay detached? Is there high turnover?
dave
George wrote:

No way to be detached, even at the end of a busy 48-hour shift when you're hard pressed to stay awake - you're dealing with humans. Granted, some are incredibly stupid, but you can't brood over it.
Some days (Sunday) the kid pukes out the chunk on, and turns pink in front of you, and even though mom and grandma don't say "thanks," the glass is at least half full.
When a sweet-faced stranger comes up on the sidewalk to give you a hug, then thanks you and identifies herself as the hamburger face whose left eye you packed up and secured to her cheek before you shipped her from an auto accident ten years back, the cup runs over.

the
George, thanks for sharing the "flip side"; the satisfaction of helping folks in need. My hat's off to you, sir!
dave
George wrote:

I got mine at Walmart Use it for stove fuel. Dan

Colorado Springs, CO My advice may be worth what you paid for it.
In Canada, you can find it at the pharmacy as Rubbing Alcohol *Compound*.
95% anhydrous ethanol.
The paint stores here in Saskatoon didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
Lee Valley carries it as well, but unless you have a store in your city it's too expensive when you factor in shipping.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

I found at my local Home Depot (Jacksonville, FL) in the staining section.
wrote:

have to

Borg
stores.
Absolutely Home Depot sells denatured alcohol. It is labeled simply "alcolhol" and is sold in the paint department in quarts and gallons.