Delta X5 Shaper Spindle Sizes

Hello,

I own a Delta shaper model 43-495X (3 HP, X5). Delta claims the maximum spindle size available for this tool is 1 inch (I submitted a question and they sent me a tech support email stating this). Looking around, I find the most popular shaper cutters to be either 3/4" or 1 1/4". While I could get by with 3/4", it would be convenient if I could use some 1 1/4" cutters (but not on a regular basis). So I'm wondering if Delta is just following legal mumbo jumbo and there really is some way I can use a 1 1/4" cutter SAFELY on this machine.

Delta does sell a 1 1/4 spindle but I don't think it's designed to fit in this machine. Does anyone know if there is, in fact, a safe way to do this? I'd appreciate the input.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Pio

I don't think I classify that as a "claim", I'd say they simply told you the maximum spindle size that there is for that particular machine. That sounds like a description of the design, not a "claim"... :)

Well, that's what they told you, isn't it? Just because another machine has an option, why does that make the fact that the one you have doesn't have the same option a conspiracy or anything more than a simple statement of fact?

You can get 1-1/4 to 1 tee bushings at many places including Delta.

As for safety, check against any listed maximum tip speed and weight limitation of the cutter although it would be quite unusual to find a

1-1/4 that would be excessive for a 1--not so for the 3/4 -> 1/2 that many smaller shaper owners run into, of course.
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Duane,

I really do appreciate the feedback. I tried to word my post very carefully to avoid this sort of interpretation. I'll try to be clearer:

I do not feel there is a conspiracy or that the manufacturer is making unjust claims. This may be the limitation of the machine and I'm willing to accept that. I was only asking if this is safely doable based on the practical field experience of the members of this group. And I ask because it's been my observation that many machines (not just woodworking) are designed to have much greater tolerances than are specified in manuals or spec sheets. In addition, a representative of a manufacturer would probably not be wise to recommend specifications outside of what's written in the supplied documentation for legal reasons. I only asked them to be more thorough in my search and wasn't surprised at their response.

I was hoping there'd be something like 1 1/4" to 1" bushings or an aftermarket 1 1/4" spindle that could be used safely on this machine (that I simply wasn't aware of). Again, I'm fine with the current limitation if that's what it turns out to be.

Thanks for taking the time responds.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Pio

It appeared (and still does to a certain extent) that you went out of your way to expressly create the impression--perhaps inadvertent but the phrase "claims the maximum spindle size available" pretty clearly says you don't believe a machine specification.

If you instead meant to ask Delta whether it was safe to operate a 5/4 cutter on a 4/4 spindle, I can't judge whether their answer was evasive or not as you didn't provide the question as you worded it to them.

It's clearly the limitation of the spindle assemblies available for the machine and that's stated on the product information.

It certainly is true that any well-engineered piece of equipment (and even not so good too a lesser extent, perhaps) is going to fail at

1+small_delta above the actual specification data. It is not possible to build something in an ordinary fashion that would function that way. And, of course, no engineering organization is going to spec a piece of equipment designed as size_x w/ a nX safety factor at anything other than the design point.

There are multiple sources of bushings and many 1-1/4" cutters are sold w/ 1" bushings (as are many 3/4" w/ 1/2") bushings included.

My reading is you probably asked the question wrong of Delta...

Anyway, the end point is you can use bushings safely as long as the cutter limits for the spindle or the cutter aren't exceeded. The simple consideration on limit on the spindle is total weight and diameter, the limit on the cutter is most likely maximum tip speed.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote: ...

Actually, including Delta in that no longer be right--I actually don't know about Delta anymore, for sure. Last time I tried to reorder some of the 1/2" sash cutters I've used for years I discovered they had quit making them and was told they (Delta) were getting out of the cutter business entirely. A quick search on their site found a few 3/4" supplied w/ 1/2" bushings but didn't see larger ones. That wasn't an extensive search, however.

Interestingly enough they did show a of sash and cabinet consisting of a bunch of the old 1/2" cutters that were discontinued that I don't recall having seen before--whether an order could actually be placed and shipped, I don't know.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The catalog shows the sizes as 1/2 to 1 inch. So, it isn't a claim;

If you use the 1 1/4 inch spindle on the machine, and if Delta said is OK to do this, and if something bad happens, then they may be liable for whatever happens. Delta is not going to assume such a risk.

Did Delta say that this spindle fits the 43-495X? The Delta catalog lists the arbor in the section for accessories for the heavy duty machine. The careful reader of the catalog will note that the shapers which list the

1 1/4 spindle as available all have 5 hp motors. Perhaps that is what they believe is needed for such cutters. Jim
Reply to
Jim

No, they only said the 1" spindle is the largest available for this machine (and I believe them). I think step-down bushings and not too large a cutter will work fine for me.

Reply to
Mike Pio

I have a 2003 Freud catalog which has a host of bushings available. I also called a rep about this on Friday to confirm their availability. For about $20, you can get 1 1/4" to 1" bushings. I didn't ask about other sizes although they're listed in the catalog.

Reply to
Mike Pio

Woodworkers Supply has a bunch in their catalog as well for significantly less if you just need bushings...www.woodworker.com

What they carry in larger diameter cutters I don't know as I'm using

3/4" almost exclusively...
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

replying to Duane Bozarth, Frank P wrote: Duane, I think you should brush up on your English before you criticize someone asking a reasonable question. You probably feel you are knowledgeable one the subject of what is an allowable maximum spindle size for Mike's machine. You would have been better off removing yourself from making a response than beating someone down for asking a question.

Reply to
Frank P

August 5, 2005, Frank. Think he will see your comment?

Reply to
Leon

The more time that goes by the bigger this problem is becoming... There are things I wrote/posted close to 30 years ago on BBSs and FTP sites that are out there on the WWW looking fresh and new to those who don't notice the dates (if there are dates). If nothing else that knowledge tends to keep me calm when I post! LOL

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

;~)

Reply to
Leon

Well, since it's x-linked to the rec, yeah, I did/do...

I recall the discussion; I didn't "beat him down" at all, I simply stated the difference between what is the supplied spindle for the machine in question vis a vis using a larger-diameter cutter on the available spindle...and noted that Delta (or any other manufacturer) for liability reasons would be highly unlikely to suggest exceeding the dimensions for their own product design by using a third-party vendor's gear to exceed that size limitation.

Don't believe I'm going to lose any sleep over it, here... :)

Reply to
dpb