DELTA X5 10" UNISAW With Biesemeyer Fence

I see Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on this saw this Saturday & I think they are also offering free shipping. So free shipping , 10% off & no tax as it's an internet purchase. It comes with a host of accessories too, mobile base, ext table. Seems like a good deal, $1778. I want to get a good table saw, anyone have experience with these. I've read both good & bad reviews on the Amazon site, I'm kinda on the edge & could go either way. Is there a better choice for the money? Appreciate any opinions that could help.
Thanks, Chris
Chris wrote:

Unless the current crop of Unisaws has taken a quality nosedive, I can't imagine what you'd find wrong with it. It's strong, smooth, the fence is great. I've had mine for about 4 years and have never had a moment's trouble with it. The miter slots are dead on parallel, and the trunion was installed and adjusted at the factory so that the blade is BALLS ON dead parallel to the miter slots. I almost bought a PM66, but I decided on the Unisaw after making several direct comparisons between them (side by side, in fact) regarding the fences, etc. I was particularly put off by the PM66 tendency to "lock up" when the blade is in the fully down position. It sometimes took 2 hands to release the blade. I know guys like their 66's but I just couldn't see the point in spending another $600 to go with yellow paint. :) I've NEVER, ever regretted getting a Unisaw.
Dave
If you have the money and the desire then go for it - you won't be disappointed. The only real hard part is choosing the fence. I know many here in the wreck luv their Beezy's, but I have the same feeling for the Uni. One nice thing about the Uni is that there are aftermarket fences that attach to the arm and give you a ready mount for hold-downs, etc. Never used it for the ability to cut sheet goods with veneer faces exposed, but that could be handy for you. Enjoy your Xmas present to yourself ...
David wrote:

I just checked their site and didn't see FREE shipping. It says regular shipping + $20 for excess weight. It's a good deal, but would be better if you can buy it at a store and take it home. If I didn't have a Delta contractor table saw with extras, I would drive the 60 miles to get one.
Frank

I think that it is a great saw, and that you will be happy with it.
Chris, Would you be willing to give up a few things for $600? Check here: http://www.redmond-machinery.com/table_saws_reconditioned.htm
I bought a reconditioned Unisaw a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. I couldn't tell the reconditioned saw from a new one. The fence and accessories were new in the box. You will find others who complain about things like the grind marks in the table top, or the sharp edges on the miter slots on both new and reconditioned Unisaws. A few minutes with some sandpaper cured all those little issues for me. Expect a workhorse instead of a museum piece and you won't be disappointed. All the things that matter for cutting wood have been close enough to perfect for me.
DonkeyHody "I'd rather expect the best of people and be wrong than expect the worst and be right."
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 19:46:50 -0500, Chris wrote:

You'll get 10% off some imaginary price. I'm looking at the 17-990x drill press, which "normally" sells at Woodcraft for $849. The "10% off" price is $809. Must be some new math I never learned. Maybe $899 is MSRP or something.
Shipping will cost you $20 for the heavy item. The little stuff is indeed free.
--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse (remove this) DOT net

I have had a Unisaw for over 15 years. (same one)! To date I've had to replace the motor once, and tune it up. If I was to find any fault with it, it would be the sawdust collection. In mine, the motor cover is open on the inside and collects a lot of sawdust. It is rather a hassle to clean out, and I have a dust collector attached to it. The PM has a better dust chute IMHO. However, that said, I'm more than completely satisfied with it and I work the H--- out of it.