Delta vs Steel City Table Saw

Page 2 of 4

What ARE you talking about? He described two kinds of alignment problems, and they are independant of each other. Neither one is "HIS KIND."

He has a positive score in my newsreader score file. He doesn't do personal attacks, unlike you, who DOES argue interminably.
Maxwell Lol wrote:

And I should care what _you_ think because?
--John
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:59:37 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:

You don't appear to care what most on this group think. Why are you here?
Larry Blanchard wrote:

To learn from those who have something to teach, to help when I can.
--John

......to flame when I cannot.
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:56:48 -0500, "J. Clarke"
We have a new definition of irony.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:56:48 -0500, "J. Clarke"

ROTFLOL Now that's funny.
To the best of my ability I answered the OP's questions. Others did the same. We all assumed he was real and sincere in asking and, if that is the case, I hope our combined contributions in some small way help him with his decision.
But you, sir, are what I would define as a "pick and twist" artist. Rather than make a contribution of your own, you look for things to "pick" from the posts of others and "twist" them to lead the thread tangenitially in whatever direction it will go. Accuracy and relevance are unimportant.
So in the words of another who recently discovered this in an earlier thread "that's it for me, your attitude is depressing".
Now to get that newsreader with the plonking feature downloaded.........
Frank
Frank Boettcher wrote:

I definitely was sincere! :-) It has been interesting to read the other posts too!
I am going back to the store today to check it out one more time before I lay my money down. You guys have given me a lot of insight and I am armed with things to look for now too!
Thank you SO MUCH for all of the great replys!
Adam

Raises hand . . .Uh mine did. When my blade was at 90 degrees to the table, it was perfectly parallel to the miter slots and also perfectly parallel to my carefully calibrated fence. But when I tilted the blade to 45 degrees, the resulting burn marks showed me right away that I had a problem. I ran Ed Bennett's TS-Aligner Jr. along the blade while tilted and found that it was no longer parallel to the miter slot. I'm an engineer, but still the answer to the problem didn't come to me. Finally I checked the literature and video that came with Ed's gadget. He explained what the problem was and how to fix it. The table top was tilted front-to-back relative to the plane of the blade tilt. A couple of shims under the low end of the table top and the problem was solved.
I suspect a great many saws have this problem. It's just difficult to diagnose and repair without sophisticated tools and the time and desire to fix it.
DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."
DonkeyHody wrote:

The _required_ tools aren't all that sophisticated. Some purpose-made tools will make it easier than others, and it's apparent that the video might have been a very valuable part of your tool kit.
I have seen the techniques laid out in several books for finding and repairing most alignment issues, including aligning cabinet saws at both ends of the blade tilt travel.

Wood cuts clean with the blade at 90 degrees, but burns when you tilt the blade, and burns worst at 45. Easy to diagnose, IF you know.

Miter gage, bar peened at 2" intervals to ride smooth with no play. C-clamp. Piece of narrow cutoff. Feeler gage set. Socket wrench. Anti-seize or white grease.

I expect my saw to produce glue joint quality surfaces. I hate sanding. I need no other motivation.
<<snip>>

I stand corrected...the comments that I made were based on the difference between a cabinet saw and a contractors saw, forgetting to check with the SteelCity website as to the saw in question.
I will say, however, that other than that the SteelCity ISN'T one, what makes a hybrid a hybrid was correct. Small point, but a point none the less.
Still wrong, but...oh well
My bad.
<mental note...check for full info FIRST>>
Mike
The Davenport's wrote:

Just so you know, the Sears 22124 is a rebadged Steel City and also has cabinet-mounted trunions. Their OR35505 is based on the same mechanism--it's kind of a hybrid saw in reverse--a cabinet saw that looks like a contractor's saw.
--John
The "Steel City" looks good in the picture. But the description says very little about the "Fence System," one of the most important parts of any table saw.
Phisherman wrote:

It's a Beisemeyer Commercial Fence.
--John
The one I got was marked as a type II industrial fence. Their version of the Besemeyer (SP) with HDPE side slabs and heavy guage steel components. Their "delux" fence is a cheaper variation on the same theme with Melamine covered MDF side slabs, lighter guage seel stock and fewer adjustment options. Those are the only two I have seen from them. So I can't speak to the others they may have. I do know they offer the actual Besemeyer brand fence as an option. JDH

"Adam" wrote

Go somewhere you can compare them side by side, even if you have to take a trip. If you've used a table saw much at all, you probably won't even have to do any cutting to make a decision.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

As noted, you have more places to search for pricing.

If you want one. Depends on shop size.
I have a Steel City drillpress, got a good look through their line at the distributer, and they all look pretty good. Guess I was impressed enough, because I bought the oldest kid a planer and jointer with his "grandma" money. He loves 'em.
I like my Mississippi Delta saw, but if in the market, I'd probably buy S.C.

What else to do in this weather?

You snowed in again, George? Just think of all that spalting going on under the snow!
(I won't mention that it's 60f here this morning) damn, did I say that out loud?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing