Delta vs. generic replacement motor

I need to replace a three-phase motor on a Delta 20" drill press with a single-phase motor. The appropriate Delta part appears to be an 82-040, here:
http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e 9&p"09
Specs are: 1-1/2 HP, TEFC, Heavy Duty, 60 Lbs, 1725 RPM, 115/230V, 20/10 A, 60Hz, 7/8" single shaft, NEMA 145T frame
I found prices on this around $400.
McMaster-Carr, which isn't generally known for being inexpensive, has a motor, part 5990K82, for $203.
It says it's a 1-1/2 HP, TEFC, Service factor 1, 1740 RPM, 115/230V, 7/8" single shaft, NEMA 145T frame.
I want a decent motor, but why pay twice as much if you don't have to? Is the Delta more expensive just because it's got a Delta nameplate? I know Delta don't actually manufacture their own motors...
Any reason not to buy the cheaper one? Any other places I should look? (unless someone here has one to sell, I'd prefer a new motor from a reputable dealer who can deliver from stock)
Thanks, Heath
On 23 Nov 2004 13:01:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Heath Roberts) wrote:

Check your local Yellow Pages under "Motor". There are local shops that specialize in electric motors everywhere.
I recently needed a 220V 3HP spa motor and was able to get a genuine Baldor for much less than any tool or spa dealer was asking for no-name stuff. In fact the motor shop was 1/3 of the spa dealers price. Not 1/3 off, but 1/3 of the PRICE! He also gave me a core refund for the old motor.
The motor guy did need 2 days to get the motor from his distributor, and he didn't take credit cards. He was pretty shocked at what the spa place was charging for a motor, noting that he makes a fair profit on his price. The spa place is a large factory direct outfit who happens to be right up the street from the motor shop and buys these motors by the pallet.
Barry
Barry, just out of curiosity, what did you have to pay. I'm looking for a 3hp 220v 1ph 1725 right now.
Thanks,
Jim Ray
(Heath Roberts)

As far as I remember it was $150 'ish. The spa dealer was over $450, the local tool guy and internet spa dealers were in the low to mid 2's.
Barry
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Heath Roberts) writes:

The cheaper motor should work just fine as long as it is the same frame type. Also check Grainger for pricing.
Brian Elfert
Northern Tool, www.northerntool.com has pretty reasonable prices on Leeson motors.

I'd imagine this might be more than you want? Runs at 3450 rpm and only 230V.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryc2&itemC37932846&rd=1

Heath Roberts wrote:

Absolutely not. In fact, with the exception of a proprietary motor (like say for a Unisaw (1)) there's no reason at all to continue buying motors from Delta.
(1) Actually, a new Unisaw motor can be gotten from Plaza Machinery for $250-$300 so there's no reason to even buy that from Delta.

Plaza Machinery www.plazamachinery.com
Electric Motor Warehouse www.electricmotorwarehouse.com

I agree but I've bought a thing or two off eBay and got a pretty good deal. Usually in this case it's best to find a local seller so you can check out his/her wares before paying.
UA100