Delta Unisaw/cabinet saw

Page 1 of 2

Does any one know what the differences are between the Delta Unisaw and the Delta Industrial Cabinet saw?

I am clueless but if you are considering a purchase keep in mind that there is going to be a new Unisaw this year.
Leon wrote:

That's the first I've heard about it, Leon. have you heard any specifics?
dave

IIRC this Spring. It seems like it was mentioned in the new products to be released section of a tool review magazine. I do not recall which.
Maybe a new color...the saw has not been changed since 1937 in it's basic design.
New covers, new fences but a "new" Unisaw ????
I don't think so. (Even Black & Decker ain't that stupid)
Leon wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

"New and Improved!", like what's been done to beer, cereal, toilet paper, printers, bread, pizza, (dare I say it?) tobacco, "cheese", etc. Death by a thousand cuts. A marketing gloss over efforts to improve profits by use of cheaper materials/methods.

"Enoch Root" wrote in message

Notice how thin the material is in shirts these days, and when's the last time you've seen one, or any apparel, made in the US?
Life as we've come to know it in this country is just about over ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
"Pat Barber" wrote in message

More likely "new" means made in China instead of the US.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Or Taiwan, China, Have you seen the new Powermatic 2000? The Cutting Edge has one on display. About 30-40% heavier than the old PM66.
I suspect you are right... I ain't never going to sell my 12/14 saw built in 1966 in Tupelo.
Swingman wrote:

Well there is a new Powermatic 2000 cabinet saw and I would choose it over the 66 in a heart beat.

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action tail&iid`57911
That's real purty. $2,911 worth of purty. Don't think loml will go for that one. It's a shame, too. It would look really nice in place of the sears contractor saw currently in the middle of the shop.
jc
noonenparticular wrote:

That price makes me appreciate the "bargain basement" cost of my Unisaw. :)
dave
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 18:35:23 GMT, Pat Barber

===========================Have to agree with you...BUT if they are that stupid I guess they would paint it Pink...
If I was in the market for a new Cabinet Saw (I'm not) my thoughts woiulde be along the lines of how much discount is going to be given on the OLD...PROVEN...Models...
Bob G.
Pat Barber wrote:

What if they stole some ideas from the Powermatic 2000?
How about a snap-in riving knife/pawls/guard, built-in casters, locking arbor, dust shield around blade, or built-in castors?
I don't think it's necessarily stupid to add new functionality.
Chris
Delta has has had a snap-in splitter with pawls for years. This is also sold with a overhead guard with full coverage of the blade.
To my knowlege, they have never sold a saw without a blade cover.
I don't know what a "locking arbor" is.
A mobile base seems to work just fine.
Chris Friesen wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

Locking arbor, like locking shaft on a circular saw or router for blade or bit changes.
Dave
Pat Barber wrote:

I did say riving knife, not splitter.

Like on an angle grinder or a CMS...push a button on the outside and the arbor cannot turn. Means you don't need a block of wood to wedge against the blade when you want to change blades.

It's one more thing to buy/assemble. There are a couple saws out there with casters built-in, and I suspect it will gain in popularity.
Chris

How many people really move a cabinet saw? Mine sits in one spot, but it also has a sliding table with support legs. Lots of contractor saws do have mobile bases or casters.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

ah, my Uni sits on the mobile base that it came with and YES, I do move it.
Dave