DELTA Unisaw - Buyer Beware!!!!!

Page 2 of 2

What I meant was, they had that generic unisaw look to it just like the Jet and other knock offs. Having just restored a 42 unisaw, I can tell the difference between the real McCoy and one of the copies. The one I looked at was a left tilt, which if you have compaired prices on the internals, the left tilt parts are oddly a lot less than the right tilt parts. One would have to assume that when Delta decided to jump on the left tilt bandwagon, they just went to taiwan and knocked on the door of one of the factories pumping out unisaw clones. On a strictly business level, you could pay some good old Americans to make up the patterns and produce the left tilt castings and eat all of the tooling cost or you could just contact Grizzly's supplier who is already producing. Of course the quality probably won't be the same, but old joe wooddorker who is drooling over Norm's shiny new Uni probably won't know the difference.
I still find it funny that just about every "cabinet saw" is just a clone of of a saw that was first produced in 1939. It says a lot for the integrity of that design.
I am not all that optimistic about the B&D deal, but the Dewalt tools I have have held up well so maybe... could it get much worse???
Chris C.

This is exactly what makes this string, especially the lead-in post, so depressing. The Unisaw is a legend and the older machines are sought after for use and restoration. It is tragic to let a machine like the Unisaw be the subject of this kind of discussion.
I seriously doubt if Black and Decker is going to fix it. I purchased a couple of their sanders during the mid 1970's and used them constantly. They were the best all purpose sanders I have owned and would remove paint fast. The second finally crapped out about 5-6 years ago. Their new ones won't come close.
I can say that at least one person chose not to go with Delta based on information I've seen here - went with a Griz 1023SL and have been very happy.
Don

Grizzly?
Same here. Three years ago I started my upgrade search pretty much favoring a Unisaw. This was based on experience with 20-30 year old machines. Unfortunately, when I started looking at the new ones I put on the brakes.
I Have had my 1023s for three years now and frankly it does a fine job of replacing the 20-30 year old Unisaw vision. As I posted a little earlier, I recently saw a brand new Unisaw in a local store and it has gone downhill in the past 2-3 years.
I am old enough to remember when nearly everything that came from Japan was cheap crap. This has been replaced with Honda, Toyota and Lexus. Now that good machine tools are coming from the east the locals had better get their act together. We may be a patriotic bunch to a point but as consumers, with limited funds, we are fickle.

so far so good with the General - this saw is VERY NICE. Baldor Motor, Danfoss starter switch, blanchard ground table and wings, very substantial castings all around, metal motor cover, etc. the fit and finish is top notch.
granted SWMBO and i have only had the saw for a few days, but everything about it smacks of quality.
we are calling it "The General" as in 'I need to take this plywood to see "The General"'
:)