DELTA Unisaw - Buyer Beware!!!!!

Page 1 of 2
A brand new Delta X5 36-L31X-BC50 was delivered to my house today....and i had to send it back.
the cabinet had 2 dime sized rust spots that were clearly coming thru from under the paint. this prompted us to check the rails, fence, and extension table. the rails featured plenty of their own rust spots including about 10" of corrosion on the fence locking rail. the "Biesmeyer" fence was noticably warped along the left side laminate. the extension table looked fine with the exception of low grade support framing.
the fella who delivered it (who also does setup) claimed that the Unisaws are now made overseas and that he has noticed a sharp decline in quality over the last 6 months. maybe we just got the Delta box-o-sh*t, but it was bad enough that we didn't want another Delta.
we got us a General 650 instead.

Might be a good idea to write to Delta and let them know that a whole bunch of people just saw your note online.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Phewie! Better than that, post Delta's ****.com and we can all send Delta a copy!
Josie

I would be surprised if Delta reps don't keep a finger on this board. maybe making my experience public will help get their quality control back on track - it'd be a shame for the Delta brand name to suffer lasting tarnish. ;-)
michael baker wrote:

Interestingly enough there was a Delta tech guy that used to hang out on one of the magazine sponsored forums. He did a lot for people there and never did anything to embarrass the company. He was probably one of the most respected posters. Anyway, one day he was gone (from the forum) and via the back channel it was told that he was told by Delta to not post. Somehow I don't think Delta has the insight/foresight/sightfullness to understand things like "alternate avenues" for keeping the finger on the pulse of the customership.

They will cease business before they ever confront their own problems. OK, that's a lie. They'll cease business and then blame it all on imported machinery.
It's never their fault. No really. It was in all the papers.
UA100

Wow, another company that uses the Oldsmobile philosophy.
"michael baker" wrote in message

Smart move ... was just looking at some of Delta's latest big tool offerings at a local dealer here yesterday. Not impressed. Mine own Unisaw is not all that old, but I am damn glad that it is as old as it is.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Grizzly?

You reckon ?
The last B&D drill I have in working order is over 30 years old.
The one I actually use is a Bridges that's 50 years old.
None of the B&D pieces of junk I've bought in the last 10 years is still working.
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 03:00:41 +0100, Andy Dingley

C'mon - they make a heck of a toaster oven! And their Weed-Whacker's pretty good too! :)
patrick conroy wrote:

Hope it's better than their rice steamer. I went through two of those and said to Hell with it and spent the bucks for Japanese home-market Panasonic.

--
--John
Don't know about that; we just got a Cuisinart convection toaster oven, rated number one by CR! :) Besides, I can't even remember how many defective B&D irons my family went through until we switched to Rowenta.
patrick conroy wrote:

I find B & D irons ($9.97 at WalMart) to be excellent. I buy four at a time at work. They are on 24 hours a day and we use them to seal plastic bags. In 10 years, I can recall one that burned out after a few weeks, another that burned out in a day. All the others last until dropped on the concrete floor a few times. At any give time we may have six or eight irons going. In a day, they are used more than most homes use them in a six months. Used to by the S365 and now buy the cheaper S220.
Maybe the problem was we were getting the $25 B&D irons from Service Merchandise. :) Over a few year period I think we went through 4.
David
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 03:00:41 +0100, Andy Dingley

Depends on what you get- I've only got two B & D tools, a handheld jigsaw and a stationary (sort of) miter saw. The jigsaw is the worst [jigsaw] POS I've ever had the misfortune to use, but the miter saw is a beauty. For $100 the thing looks and feels like a DeWalt, and is one of the more heavily used pieces of equipment in my shop.
Seems like after they bought DeWalt, the Black and Decker quality went up- might happen again after they buy out Delta, but who knows? At any rate, I don't like all this mega-consolidation, so I'm planning to purchase from Grizzly in the future- at least until Black and Decker buys them, too! :(

You can count on it. Rather that a mix of foreign and US components, it will all come from one country.
Heh heh.

will
wrote in message

will
Yeah. Malaysia.
Chris C wrote:

Probably a good reason for this is onna 'count of the Jet was backwards injineered using a Unisaw.
Still, your statement is correct.

Only time will tell.
UA100