Delta tenon jig

I read a review of tenon jigs in Fine woodworking recently. They recommended the Delta 34-184.So I went to Amazon ready to order, but all the reviews were very bad. Anyone had any experience with it?
thanks Chris

I have the 34-183 model. Does a fine job and was good out of the box. I did not experience any of the problems in the reviews. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the nearly identical Woodcraft model for $59.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I have a 34-183, collecting dust. I found a quicker, more precise way of doing tenons. And I don't like the cast iron base scratching the cast iron table.
I have the Woodcraft jig, it's about half the price of the Delta and Jet.
--
Mike S.
Cape Girardeau, Mo.

No, but I built my own and it works exceptionally well. Used a plan from ShopNotes. It is a little on the heavy side, but that's a good thing for a tenoning jig.
I have the 34-184 , bought several years ago. The only thing I had a problem with is the 3 little set screws in the guide bar that are used to adjust the jig to fit in the miter slot. They were stripped from the factory and had to be changed. Otherwise, jig works very well and I'd recommend it. --dave

If you only want to hold the workpiece at 90 degrees to the table (probably 99% of the time) then shopbuilt is a pretty simple way to go. FWW, and Popular woodworking have both had pictures and articles recently of ones that straddle the fence.
FWW had an article about Frank Klausz making slip joint and it had a photo of his jig for making them. I made one with scrap ply and it does a great job.
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:34:36 -0500, Rob Mitchell

Chris wrote in

    I have one and never use it. It is a pain to get set up. I use my router table to cut tenons with a large hinge mortising bit. I can sneak up on a great fit pretty easily and then cut the entire tenon with only one setting & half the number of passes past the blade as on a table saw. They seem to be a waste of time and money from my viewpoint.
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods
Michael Burton wrote: ...

It only takes two cuts each side using the table saw assuming it's not longer than the blade height...for only one or two it typically isn't much savings, granted, but for four or more I almost always use it.
Of course, I have one of the old heavy cast iron ones, not the new cheaper versions. Delta still makes it but it's roughly $300 list...

I have one of those Delta beasts and have never been able to use it because it doesn't work on my left tilt Unisaw. I should sell it, I suppose, but who in their RIGHT mind would want such a thing? (notice TIC). Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO