Delta tablesaw model 36-670 (2023 Update)

I am confused about this saw. My local home store has one on clearence for $317, which seems like a great deal. However, I have not been able to find anything on the net for this model number, not even on the Delta site. Is this a cheap version made for home stores? Is it just a base model that isn't actually sold (like the 36-675, which looks the same but with some extras)?

10 inch saw, cast iron table with pressed steel wings, stand, standard Delta fence, 1.5hp motor (110/220).

Any opinions on this?

Reply to
gregj

I don't know this applies here but I'd bet it's the saw that you think it resembles. Borgs commonly will have the model number varied to avoid having to give a discount if the competing Borg carries the same item. "Nobody beats our price".... only applies on the exact model number. This way the borg guarantees nobody will have it.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Edwin Pawlowski

The 36-675 currently sells for $500, which would make this a pretty good deal if true. Seems like a little too good?

Reply to
gregj

It is probably a discontinued model. You may be able to find something about it by looking at the parts list for one of the other 36-6xx saws. I may have a previous Delta catalog which lists it, but I can't seem to find the catalog right now. This line is made in Taiwan. Jim

Reply to
Jim

"gregj" wrote in news:1118144469.293952.241800 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I dunno. Home Depot's and Lowe's often mark stuff down to a "too good to be true" level. That's often when I pry open my wallet.

If this style of saw is what you're after, and the one in the store looks like it has all the parts, nothing's broken etc - then I'd say you're Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth. Grab it and start cutting!

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Good advice Patrick, thats what I'm going to do. The saw is still in the box (they have one more in the box, one on display. The store is in the 78759 zip code, Austin Texas if anyone is interested).

Reply to
gregj

Go for it...

I bought one for $317, it's a 36-649 model (aka 36-650). From what I can tell the 36-675 is the base unit to many of the lower end contractor saws. A $599 saw at Woodcraft has the same base unit.

The different models are for the accessories, table and fence types. I'm not in love with the steel extensions but I can change them when I want to cast iron for $69.00 each plus shipping. The T2 fence is decent, not a Beismeyer mind you but good enough. The motor is good and gives a

15 amp circuit a workout on startup, I'm going to move it to 220 volts on a new circuit soon. The original belt sucks and caused a lot of vibration but a new link belt (highly recommended) fixed that.

The arbor is too short for my liking but it is the only arbor offered and the official word from Delta is to leave off the outside washer for big dado stacks (over 5/8" or so).

Overall I'd give it a good rating especially at $317, it's light years ahead of my older Ridgid ($550) portable. It's heavier, much quieter and just generally more solid all around. I only wish I'd done it sooner...

Bring a strong friend with you, it's too heavy to do alone. I did it alone but was sore for a few days!

Phil Davis

247PalmBeachRE.com
Reply to
Phil

"gregj" wrote in news:1118170136.306498.156470 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Just got back from a lil' vacation on Padre myself.

There are times I miss Texas, but come June/July/August - I usually rethink my position.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

What about say, one of the kinda crappy cheap Craftsman saws if I could get it for

Reply to
Matt

Matt wrote in news:jSzve.3106$Tk2.6@trnddc02:

The less experience you have, the more you need a saw that will keep its settings, and reliably do what you ask of it. That doesn't mean automatically spending $500+, but it does mean that junk is a waste of money and material and time.

When your tools screw up your project, you tend to stop making projects. If YOU screw up your projects, then it's a learning experience.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

excellent point; what's hilarious is that i have bought my share of crappy (hand) tools and still not learned this lesson. i think i'll hunt down the ryobi bt3100 -- mad at myself for missing an opportunity to get one of those last week.

Reply to
Matt

| Patriarch wrote: || Matt wrote in || news:jSzve.3106$Tk2.6@trnddc02: || ||| What about say, one of the kinda crappy cheap Craftsman saws if I ||| could get it for

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Less than $75 might be pushing it, but mine is a little cheap saw, and it's done a lot of very nice work for me. It's better to get what you can and get started than it is to worry about what some guy on the internet has to say about it, after all... :)

The first table saw I every used was a $50 house-brand from one of the big-box stores a guy had on a jobsite. We just sat it on a table and used it without knowing any better. No expensive fence or ultra-smooth industrial blades in that thing, but I managed to do three years worth of finish carpentry on it, and it all came out just fine. You can always upgrade later.

Reply to
Prometheus

I got that same model number in my garage. I don't have much hope finding a manual for it. It's like that manual is hiding with Hunters laptop.

Reply to
Outcast37

Nope the manual is hiding

Markem618