Delta T2 fence on Craftsman TS

I have been using my Craftsman table saw with the stock Align-a-Rip fence for a few years now. Just recently I did a tune-up on the saw (which is another story altogether), and found that the fence is bent about .015", and it will not lock straight consistently. Since the saw locks in the back of the saw too, it also makes out-feed tables difficult to build.

I was in Lowes the other day and saw the T2 fence for $150. I have done some research and the T2 fence seems to get fairly good reviews after a few problems attaching it, but I was wanting to know if anyone in this group actually has one and what is it really like to use it.

I know that the saw is "just" a Craftsman and I don't want to put lipstick on a pig. A new saw is out of the question, but I don't want to blow $150 either. So to those who have the T2 fence, what do you think of them? How much better off would I be? Is it worth the $150?

Thanks,

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

I have the T2 and I like it. I was thinking of upgrading, but liked it enough to keep it. Granted it's not a Beismeyer, but it does a fine job for me. The faces on mine were fine out of the box, but even if they weren't it's an easy fence to shim. Be aware though that it isn't a very heavy fence, so if you aren't careful it may lift at the rear. The fence has a clip on it that catches on the rear rail in case the fence lifts. The scale is accurate, it pushes smoothly, and it's easy to attach jigs to.

Cheers,

Dale

I was in Lowes the other day and saw the T2 fence for $150. I have done some research and the T2 fence seems to get fairly good reviews after a few problems attaching it, but I was wanting to know if anyone in this group actually has one and what is it really like to use it.

I know that the saw is "just" a Craftsman and I don't want to put lipstick on a pig. A new saw is out of the question, but I don't want to blow $150 either. So to those who have the T2 fence, what do you think of them? How much better off would I be? Is it worth the $150?

Thanks,

Wayne

Reply to
Dale

Good to hear, thanks. I would love to get a Bies too, but that would be putting more than lipstick on the pig. I went over to Lowes and bought the fence and have looked at it. For some reason I have never considered the rear rail. I just thought that the front rail was so heavy duty that it supported the fence. I see these people on TV that have these huge out-feed tables attached to their cabinet saws and they appear to be butted directly to the saw table. Where does a rear rail fit? Anyway, I did some checking and even the Bies has a rear rail. Do you know if it also has the "clip" to keep it from raising?

I have read a couple of other peoples reviews and they said that about the only problem they had was the locking handle would not stay up when moving the fence. One fixed it with a magnet and one with a fiber washer. Do you (or did you) have that problem and if so how did you resolve it? And as for the lifting problem, could you add lead weight to it or would that cause other problems?

Thanks again,

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

And would just spend you more money. As long as the fence works and is easy to use... It doesn't matter much does it? I put the T2 on my 50+ year old Delta contractors saw and it works great. About the only complaint I have is it should have a method to attach an auxiliary fence for dada and molding head cutters. You can buy clamps for this at Rockler:

I went over to Lowes and bought the fence and have looked at it. For some reason I have never

This is pretty much exactly how it is. The front rail does all the work. I bought mine at Lowes as well, $140 on sale.

I see these people on TV that

The fence doesn't really raise any when in normal use.

Yes, that is a minor problem that has not annoyed me enough to bother fixing. Actually, with the handle dropping it locks the fence just enough so I can tap it to precise position, so I look at it as an asset:-)

And as for the lifting problem, could you add lead weight

You can ignore the lifting "problem" It seems to not be a problem at all.

I would buy this exact fence again, would never spend the money on the Bessy unless someone could point out how I would benefit from it. The T2 is easy to use and works as advertised. I can't see it wearing out, ever, so what issues could there be?

Reply to
Jack Stein

I don't have one but a friend of mine does...what he did was to NOT put the rear rail on, relying purely of the front rail. When he built the outfeed table, which is bolted directly to the table top of the saw, he included a run of tee-track parallel with the back of the table so that if needed, he could put a hold down on the fence so that he could use a feather board without lifting the fence.

Just a thought

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's