Delta planer 22-540 uneven

My deta planer doesn't plan evenly anymore. I replaced the blades and they seem to be installed properly but this still didn't stop my problem. Is there anything else that could be out of adjustment to cause my problem?

Thanks for your help

Jeff S

Reply to
Jeff Stoltzfus

Define unevenly. A surface that is not smooth? Boards are thinner on one side?

Reply to
Leon

Boards are thinner on one side

Reply to
Jeff Stoltzfus

Your cutter knives are not installed properly.

They are not parallel with planer bed.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That would be my assumption and more than likely if the knives are indeed installed correctly the cutter head assembly has probably become out of adjustment, One side had worked its way farther down the screw shaft than the other. BTDT.

Reply to
Leon

Are you any relation to Joe Stoltzfus? jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Do you have the lock on? If you have not locked the cutter it will do this.

Len "

Reply to
Len

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:05:53 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

After the loose one throws the screw, it'll be quite easy to determine which was the guilty blade. ;)

(Jeff, I highly recommend checking those blade holddown screws before you touch the planer switch again.)

-- Indifference to evidence: Climate alarmists have become brilliantly adept at changing their terms to suit their convenience. So it's "global warming" when there's a heat wave, but it's "climate change" when there's a cold snap. The earth has registered no discernable warming in the past 10 years: Very well then, they say, natural variability must be the cause. But as for the warming that did occur in the 1980s and 1990s, that plainly was evidence of man-made warming. Am I missing something here? --Brett Stephens, WSJ Opinion 12/09/09

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You can do some investigation to see if you can locate the problem.

You want to first make a block that can be used to check the blades at each edge. Assuming this can take more than 3 1/2" of depth here is how I would do it.

Take a 6" section of 2x4 or any wood with parallel edges about that size. I guessed at 6", you just want to be sure it does not extend out to the extension tables so shorter if needed. Chamfer the long edges on one 2" side leaving about a 1/4" flat. Now place that block at one edge of the table as if you were going to plane off the 1/4" flat edge (flat up) and slowly lower the cutter (or raise the table) while slowly rocking the cutters back and forth just until one knife scrapes the flat.

Then check each knife to see if the kinives themselves are scraping the same. Then move to the other edge and leaving it at the same cutting depth. You should either have a complete free pass or no pass depending of you did the low or high side first. If it is already the same, something really wierd is going on.

Do the same per knife check on the second side.

This will help determine if one knife is the prob or if the whole cutter head to table is out of wack. If it is the whole head then see if there is any adjustment where the lift screws attach to the head.

Another possibility is an out of wack extension table that is lifing it up but you will then usually see a wierd type of reverse snipe

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
LDosser