DELTA PLANER 22-540

Thanks. Any complaints or advice on operation? Know where to get cheap knives for it?

From: Subject: Re: Advice on Planer. Date: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:11 PM

Mine's been going strong with no problems for 8 or 9 years.

Reply to
knowone

As mentioned on the other thread, you will want chip collection. I ran mine connected to a shop vac for a while... worked fine for a few minutes at a time until something plugged up or filled up. A real DC is a good thing.

Knives seem to run about $25-30 everywhere. I haven't found them cheaper.

Snipe is an issue with this planer. If you look at rec.ww postings or magazine articles from 5 or more years ago, you'll see lots of info on building extension tables and other labor intensive solutions that sort-of fix the snipe problem. I've always taken the lazy solution, which is just to plane boards to thickness before cutting to length, and waste a few inches at the ends. If you're planing a particularly precious piece of lumber, you can always run some sacrificial longer boards alongside

Reply to
kkfitzge

Never thought of sacrificial boards alongside, KK. That is a good idea.

I had a company that sharpens all sorts of things say that they didn't sharpen the blades for this planer because of the quality of the steel. I take that to mean that the steel is of too low quality to sharpen.

ko.

Reply to
knowone