Delta Pin router/shaper combo.

I seem to recall that Delta, 15 years ago (or so) made a machine which one could flip (or manually move) the motor unit from the top to under the table. The arm, which held the motor would then hold a pin, directly above the output shaft of the motor. I think it was low in horsepower.. like 2 or 3 hp. As I rip down some cobwebs from this old brain, I think it was called a RU 50, UR 50, U-50..maybe it was 80. The machine made a whole lot of sense to me at the time, but lost touch with the catalogue.... I'm thinking maybe as far back as 20 years ago.

(Wouldn't be the first time that a company like Delta would develop a machine which wouldn't sell because it was ahead of its time.)

I'd like to find out the number of that unit so I can try to hunt one down and see if they have become affordable... I have DAGS'd the snot out this thing...that 'router' word makes my searches go sideways to computer stuff..

I would appreciate it if somebody could gimme a 'thattaway' on this thing.

Thanks,

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

It was closer to the 1968(ish) to 1970's period. It was a design they'd bought from Duro of "smaller woodworking machine fame".

That's about correct but it was closer to the 2(ish) HP range (maybe less) than the 3 HP range.

The RU's were/are Invicta (Brazil). The one you are looking for was US made.

And some though I suspect it was sold up until the late

70's.

Ditto that thought. Stanley (actually Carter) had one of the first small over arms back in the 30's. Bryco had an over arm for a router back in the 70's.. Bosch (at the time they bought the Stanley power tool line) sold one also. There are others but it's like 4:43 AM and I'd need more coffee to research the rest.

Try the OWWM. Look at the Delta section. Look for catalogs from the 60's/70's. Also, look at the OWWM Photo Index and see if there's one there. If you don't scare up the model number you can ping me later and I'll look it up (when I'm not rushing for the door).

A'yup. You get all kinds of stuff for Cisco. How many HP is their stuff?

UA100, who also wanted one...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Yuppers. Found a similar Rockwell.

43-502

Now doesn't that make sense as an all around machine?

Realllly scary is that I see brushes? Can't be an induction motor, cuz you wouldn't get the speed unless you jacked up the line frequency with an MG set... ( I suppose some kinda freaky planetary gears is possible..but to get 20KRPM??) Naaa.. them's brushes.

Somebody should revisit that concept.

Oh, and thank you, kind sir.

0?0 Rob
Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Pat Barber

Search on "repulsion-induction motor" and your mystery will be solved.

Reply to
George

Still, 2 poles 3600 rpm max, 4 poles 1800 rpm max. (In north America 60 Hz) A repulsion-induction motor has better torque during wind-up, and due to 'slip' the full pole/rpm relationship falls by the wayside.

If you want to go faster than 3600 rpm with an ac motor, you need to increase the line frequency.....repulsion-induction motor or not. CNC routers, trim routers on edgebanding machines and so on all have frequency converters, usually done with an electric motor driving a generator. Aircraft often run on 400Hz line frequency. Unless I'm wrong, which happens all the time.

Reply to
Robatoy

This one isn't R/I, just a big ass router motor.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

That one lists 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" somethings. I suspect it's the router collet but I was just thumbing a 1971 catalog (1) and it lists a 1/4" router collet and of course a 1/2" shaper shaft. I'd watch for this if you find one.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, the one on the OWWM site is/was built after 1974. See the peace sign Rockwell International logo.

I for one have always lusted for one of these.

Just a big-ass(ish) router motor.

Agreed.

Nottaprob.

(1) In the '71 catalog the machine is noted as "New" but I'm not sure how many years it was "New" if you know what I mean.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

If not R/I and pulleys, the number of windings should have revealed the nature of the motor.

Reply to
George