Delta or Jet Bandsaw

I have been looking at 14" Bandsaws and plan on doing a little bit of resawing on hardwoods to make clocks. I know that I want a 1hp motor...The Jet seems to be the heavy duty cast iron . My budget is around $500. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The Jet closed stand is a very good saw for $599. The $799 Delta is a tad better, IMO, but not $200 worth when the budget is much less.(the mobile base helps even things out though) That is why I have a Jet. Ed
I also have the Jet for exactly the same reasons. Problem is most of these folks get serious machinery mixed up with homeowner stuff. Serious machinery is 18" up saws. What we have (even with a riser block) is a homeowner tool. True, there have been some awfully impressive things done with them but it doesn't change the fact that a 14" saw is a homeowners/hobby saw. It is amazing what you can do with one; it is even MORE amazing what you can do (and how you do it) with an 18" up saw.

If you read the Iturra catalogue review, you will find he prefers the domestic made (and more expensive than the Chinese made) Delta. He spends about 6 pages explaing why.
He sells accessories for both, so I doubt he cares which you buy, since his stuff improves both.
Buy ONE. HEck, what do you like: blondes or brunettes? You will kick this issue to death (again) whne the idea is to just GET one and use it. Both have advantages and disadvantages. YOu get what you pay for generally.
On 31 Oct 2003 16:16:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DarylRos) wrote:

At one time, Delta made, hands down, the better 14" bandsaw. However, that is likely no longer the case, judging from a close inspection of the newer Delta's on the show room floor, and reading the many comments from owners of same.
If I were in the market today for a 14" bandsaw, I would try hard to find a used Delta 28-299.
Although I own a Delta, in today's market I would look hard at the Jet before making up my mind. The Grizzly 14" model has also gotten some good reviews lately, so you will want to do some research there as it will be more in line with your budget, unless you can find a used Delta.
Just my tuppence ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 02:28:21 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy) wrote:

Get the Delta if you can afford it. If not, get the Jet--it's better than many other brands. I compared these two and the Delta is heftier with less vibration allowing a more accurate cut. I have a 3/4 HP Delta and I wish for more power whenever I resaw.