Delta Mortising Machine

When I went to set up the mortising machine, the gear was so tight I could hardly move it. Now that the shock absorber is attached, very hard to move up and down. Any suggestions as to what kind of lubricant to use or is there a way to loosen op the entire assembly? Thanks.
--
Chuck Callaghan
snipped-for-privacy@virginia.edu

One of the magazines that tested mortising machines, said the all got better after a break in period. Maybe if you just sat and stroked it for a while it would not be as hard. Ed

Anybody else think Ed coulda phrased that a little better?
a break in period. Maybe if you just sat and stroked it for a while it

Hah! Exactly what I thought when I read it. :)
In article <_rCTb.99544$ef.53889
So many jokes... Brain is overloading... ahhhhhh

Did you remove the sticky cosmoline-like anti-rust compound from the column? Sometimes it makes a difference.

Use it a little and then we will see the posts about "too loose"...kinda like that Goldy and three bears thing with poridge. I have had one for 2 years and I think they do break in but mine is still pretty tight after much use. I guess it's by design You don't want the thing dropping on your workpiece as you move it from side to side (could ruin the work and could also be dangerous). During the break in period a piece of pipe over the handle will give you some more leverage. As for lube, WD 40 might help loosen some of the packing grease and true to form will leave behind its own varnish which should tend to keep a tight fit.

Johnsons paste wax.
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:06:12 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"