Delta mortiser question

Just finished assembly of my new 14-651 Delta mortiser. Amazon $249.00

-$25.00 (purchase of 150 or more) - $50.00 Delta rebate, free shipping. Question is about the Hydraulic cylinder that mounts on studs between the base and carriage. Is the purpose of it to raise the motor to the top or just counter balance it so it doesn't drop on it's own? Mine doesn't automatically raise the motor when I let go of the handle and I'm wondering if I have a bad part. In fact the motor assembly is suprisingly hard to re-raise. The further I lower it, the harder it is to raise. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

from the ones I have used (not your specific model) the operating lever should require a minimum of force to raise or lower the machine with no material in place.

the machine I used tended to raise the mechanism if you let go of the handle , rather like a drill press.

If the motor is hard to raise I suggest you recheck your parts list and assembly.

Reply to
marks542004

Just keeps it from dropping. You have to lift up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have a similar model and on mine, the manual says to adjust the tension of the mechanism so that you can raise the carriage with a little effort. You should be able to adjust the friction of the carriage, thus adjust the amount of force necessary to raise and lower the carriage.

Mike in Alameda

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

These cylinders go bad over time and sometimes they go bad right away. The automotive industry was using them in the late 70's and early 80's on hoods and deck lids. Needless to say we replace a bunch of these parts. My 10 year old Delta mortiser has one and when new it would gently lift the motor up when I let go of the handle if the chisel was not embedded into wood. Today it only holds the motor at the location that I leave it.

Reply to
Leon

Hmmm. Mine never lifted the chisel back up, buried or not. It was never a concern, I just thought it natural to rotate the handle to raise the head back up. The cylinder does the required job of holding the head up. No worries.

Reply to
George Max

I just got mine recently, and yeah it just stays put when I let go. Which I think is what it's supposed to do. I'd rather have it stay just above the work where I left it while repositioning than go all the way back up.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I have a Shop Fox so this may not be related... The gas spring is to keep the motor from falling down on your fingers when you are not ready. Sharp chisels will make you say Ow very loudly. Lifting the motor back up by hand is by design.

Thom

Reply to
Thom

Thanks everyone for taking time to respond. I'll adjust the fit between the head and column per the manual to make it a bit easier to move and then not worry about about the gas cylinder not raising the assembly. Mike in Arkansas

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas