Delta Model 36-717

Anyone have an opinion about this saw?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
John Smith

You've seen one Chinese saw, you've seen them all. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Well.....did you have a better suggestion??

Reply to
John Smith

What an ignorant comment.

Reply to
Leon

You need to look at all of the hybrid saws. Dewalt was the first. Jet and Grizzly make good ones (well, I should say sell) as well. Isn't the Delta a little underpowered at 1 3/4 hp? They all look like they were made in the same factory. Jim

Reply to
Jim

I saw one on display at a Rocklers.

Now, mind you, display models have a way of being set-up piss poorly, so my comment may not TRULY be indicative of the real quality of the saw.

Caveats aside, I have to say I was underwhelmed. The blade raising and tilting mechanisms had an incredible amount of binding in them, an issue that was compounded by cheap plastic handwheels.

The tabletops had a mirror finish on them, however...which is better than you can say about the Unisaws. Didn't have my 36" Starrett on hand, so didn't check for flatness. :-)

Other than getting some fingerprints on it, that's my only experience with the saw. I can't say how it cuts or how smoothly it runs.

Reply to
wood_newbie