Delta mobile base?

Mobile bases are awfully expensive, but Harbor Freight used to sell one for less than $20 that came with a few metal pieces and then required you to supply some wood to complete it and customize the size. Unfortunately it doesn't look like HF offers this thing any longer. However, I was at a friend's house and noticed that he has a bunch of Delta mobile bases that look almost identical to the old HF ones. He received them as a gift and didn't know where they were purchased. Has anyone else seen these? It sounds like a great way to save some money and still get the mobility I need for a couple large power tools in my shop.
The Deltas are $50 a copy. You can get them off the net or a local WW equipment supply store should have them if they stock Delta. I've got 3 of them; they are great. Word has it that the HF version had inferior hardware on their "identical" mobile base. I can vouch for the quality of the Delta hardware (as relates to the mobile bases, that is!).
dave
NoNameAtAll wrote:

Hey Dave, Is that mobile base where you supply the wood sides for it....$50....looking for one..

Rockler has theirs on sale for $40 right now. I have 1 and find it just as well built as the Delta. http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?sku#83
Art

Great price on that Rockler. I just put a Shop Fox base under my brand spankin new Grizz 1023, and its a very sturdy base... 600 pound capacity. $69.95. No wood.
Brian.

Yup. It's rated to hold 300 lbs and has recommend size limits as well, which I don't have off the top of my head. The Delta website should have that info.
dave
George Berlinger wrote:

I have two - they are Delta and were $50 each. They are more money but they do the job well. They say they will support 300 lbs but if you plan to lift something that heavy, be sure you use the hardwood like they say. I use them for things lighter than that and am getting by with pine. The rep also told me that if you wanted to use 1 1/2 tube steel, you disregard the weight limit.
Don

I agree. The first ones I built I used poplar. I switched to maple and it makes for less flexing with heavy equipment of around 200+ lbs. For something light like a miter saw or 13" planer, poplar is MORE than adequate.
dave
V.E. Dorn wrote:

    Greetings and Salutations.

for $10 each. I used 1.5" square steel tubing, and frankly, don't think it would bend if I parked a car on it. As I was too much of a slug to drill the 22 holes needed to mount all the parts, I ended up welding mine together...which worked great.     This is one place where I REALLY like metal over wood...     Regards     Dave Mundt
I have 2 of the HF in use and other than the bolts they are fine. only problem is that they have switched to a HTC 4 wheel knock off and the price is 60 clams. If I could find 2 more of the old ones at $20 I would buy them in minute.
BRuce
NoNameAtAll wrote:

--
---

BRuce

Here's an article on Mobile Bases that may be of interest: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/articles/mobilebaseshowdown.htm
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Workshop Essentials Under $30 - Festool PS 300 Jigsaws - Delta Universal Tenoning Jig - Ryobi Reciprocating Saw - Infinity Router Bits ------------------------------------------------------------

I have one of these under my band saw...works quite well.
The only thing I'd recommend is to pick up a couple of (what the hell are they called?) the threaded inserts that hammer in and use them for the leveling feet instead of the nut on top and under the frame rails. My floors are VERY much not level and I can pick up an extra 1/4" of adjustment by not having the screw on the bottom side and it's easier because I have only one nut to tighten.
It's a pretty pricey fix, tho...I think it cost me all of $1.25 for the two inserts.
Mike
I did the very same thing with mine.
dave
The Davenports wrote:

On 09 Jan 2004 16:08:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) brought forth from the murky depths:

I have one of those and they work OK. I think they used to go for $40 and were on sale at 50% off.

All I see there now are the expensive type at $60. Hmmm... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberG826
Out of curiosity, I was going to try Northern Tool but instead dialed in "homier mobile base" and found the base. It looks like the same type HFT sold a couple years ago but for $2 less money! http://www.homier.com/itemdetail.asp?i 529&cS
Their roller stands look like a good $15 deal, too. http://www.homier.com/itemdetail.asp?i 677&cS The HFT rollers (singles) weren't bearing style, they were VERY coarsely made (bushing style) with lousy rolling characteristics. Does anyone have one of these Homier jobs?
-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:25:37 GMT, Larry Jaques

The Homier base is too small to fit an open base 14" bandsaw. DAMHIK
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:27:26 -0500, Cape Cod Bob

Are they NOT put together with your own wood inserts like the old HFT bases were, Bob?
- They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. -Confucius --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming Services
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 04:38:34 GMT, Larry Jaques

Most Delta mobile bases are welded steel but they do have a kit that requires you to use supply your own wood for the supports between their steel corners. I have both types and the steel is the strongest but the wood supplied kit allows you to build you own custom size, I used this kit for my New Yankee Workshop router table.
brought forth from the murky depths:

I used the HF kit on my "Norm" router table. makes it a breeze to move around. I don't understand why it was not designed mobile to begin with.
BRuce
scottso wrote:

--
---

BRuce

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:17:55 -0500, Cape Cod Bob

Couldn't they easily be hacksawed apart, drilled, and wooden extensions added to make them fit anything? At that price, it's worth a try, wot?
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development