Delta JT360 jointer dust chute clogging

Trying to find a solution to my clogging dust chute on my Delta jointer JT360. I connect a 6hp shop vacuum to the 4" port using a reducer with a 2 hose connected. This works fine for the first couple of passes, taking about 1/16" off each pass, then the chute clogs up and the in feed table gets covered quickly with wood shavings. I'm jointing kiln dried pine.
Another important detail is that its winter here and its wicked cold making the air dry and causing static build up on everything. Not sure if this contributes to the problem, but I prefer to give all details in hopes of a good solution in return.
There has to be a solution to this problem. H E L P !
Thanks, Daniel
Take smaller bites. 1/16th is huge. Tom Daniel wrote:>Trying to find a solution to my clogging dust chute on my Delta

Someday, it'll all be over....
Thanks Tom, will try less taking passes less than 1/16
What does puzzle me is why is there a preset for 1/8" if 1/16" is considered huge. I figured that taking half of what the preset is I should be fine.
Thanks, Daniel
On 22 Jan 2004 16:53:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comEDY (Tom) wrote:

Y'know, it may not be thickness. You may be the victim of your own sharpening. When the blades on my planer are sharp, the chips are as long as the board is wide, and they are tough to bend double and go through the hose.
(Tom) wrote:

May yer blades always be sharp... Tom >George wrote:

Someday, it'll all be over....
You're welcome. Well, my jointer manual (PM54A)sez not to take more than 1/64th when face jointing, so I've gotta eyeball it 'tween the 32ds. I'm betting that the "preset" you're talking about is not an actual stop or detente, but simply a measurement mark on the indicator. It's there more for when you get into rabbeting and such. > Daniel wrote:

Someday, it'll all be over....
On 22 Jan 2004 08:22:09 -0800, Daniel Martin wrote:

I have the same jointer and have it hooked up to my 6.5hp shop vac by attaching a 4" - 2.5" reducer to the 4" outlet with duct tape (didn't have any spare 4" hose at the time) and the nozzle for my shop vac fits directly into the 2.5" port of the adapter. I also put some duct tape at the bottom of the chute to close up the leaks and keep chips from falling out the bottom. I haven't had any clogging, but I didn't like how the chute extends below the outlet for the dust hole.
Shawn
Shopvac doesn't have the airflow capacity to handle this
Dispite the claimed "6hp", it actually has something like a 1.25hp motor and moves less air than you want. Good vacumm cleaner for the shop, terrible as a DustColletor
John
On 22 Jan 2004 08:22:09 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Daniel Martin) wrote:

Sure it does. I did this with a 6" jointer for quite a while before I put in central dust collection. With ONE tool and a short hose, the vac did fine, with the exception of keeping up with wide boards on a thicknesser.
Chances are, there isn't a smooth flowing path into the hose, or the 1/16" cut is creating so many chips at once, the reducer is causing the problem. Check the path and try lighter cuts.
Barry
Are you sure the vac is getting everything in the first couple of passes? Before I had my jointer hooked up to a DC I could make several passes before the shavings would finally back up to the point where they'd come out of the top. It sounds like the same thing that is happening to you which leads me to believe you aren't really getting the shavings in the first few passes. Try a pass or two then with a small stick reach up through the dust port and I'll bet you can fish some shavings out that your vac didn't get.
Here's another thought: Depending on how rough your wood is as you make successive passes your jointer is going to remove more material. This could overwhelm your vac whereas your vac can keep up with the first pass or two. I still lean towards my first suggestion.
-- Larry C in Auburn WA

Dan,
Some time ago when I was having the same problem someone on the wRec suggested just taking off the vac attachment to open the discharge throat fully and let the chips fall in a box. Jointer "dust" is coarse stuff, even when taking 64ths, and this does not result in any significant floating sawdust, but the clogging problem disappeared forever. It was a really effective solution to a big nuisance.
Bill

Thank you all for your help on this one, will be trying out some of the recommendations this weekend.
Also I'm aware that the 6hp vacuum is over rated but I must say that this Ridgid vac does a pretty good job compared to my 3hp Shopvac. I must warn anyone entering my shop with a wig to be cautious...
Thanks, Daniel
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 02:13:49 GMT, "Bill Hinshaw"

I have a grizzleguts 8" joiner and have used a 4" hose connected to the 4" square outlet. I also have the two HP grizzelguts DC unit and use 4" piping throughout.
That being said I still get clogs on my joiner as you do, to reduce these I have sealed all orifices with thje exception of the throat, duct tape and shop rage at the infeed and outfeed table adjustments. I believe the biggest problem now is the transition from square to round . So now I am going to get a piece of AC ducting that gives me a smooth transition from round to smooth and I do believe this will solve the problem.....mjh
--

"Daniel Martin" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...