Delta JT360 jointer dust chute clogging

Trying to find a solution to my clogging dust chute on my Delta jointer JT360. I connect a 6hp shop vacuum to the 4" port using a reducer with a 2½ hose connected. This works fine for the first couple of passes, taking about 1/16" off each pass, then the chute clogs up and the in feed table gets covered quickly with wood shavings. I'm jointing kiln dried ¾ pine.

Another important detail is that its winter here and its wicked cold making the air dry and causing static build up on everything. Not sure if this contributes to the problem, but I prefer to give all details in hopes of a good solution in return.

There has to be a solution to this problem. H E L P !

Thanks, Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Martin

Take smaller bites. 1/16th is huge. Tom Daniel wrote:>Trying to find a solution to my clogging dust chute on my Delta

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I have the same jointer and have it hooked up to my 6.5hp shop vac by attaching a 4" - 2.5" reducer to the 4" outlet with duct tape (didn't have any spare 4" hose at the time) and the nozzle for my shop vac fits directly into the 2.5" port of the adapter. I also put some duct tape at the bottom of the chute to close up the leaks and keep chips from falling out the bottom. I haven't had any clogging, but I didn't like how the chute extends below the outlet for the dust hole.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Shopvac doesn't have the airflow capacity to handle this

Dispite the claimed "6hp", it actually has something like a 1.25hp motor and moves less air than you want. Good vacumm cleaner for the shop, terrible as a DustColletor

John

Reply to
John Crea

Are you sure the vac is getting everything in the first couple of passes? Before I had my jointer hooked up to a DC I could make several passes before the shavings would finally back up to the point where they'd come out of the top. It sounds like the same thing that is happening to you which leads me to believe you aren't really getting the shavings in the first few passes. Try a pass or two then with a small stick reach up through the dust port and I'll bet you can fish some shavings out that your vac didn't get.

Here's another thought: Depending on how rough your wood is as you make successive passes your jointer is going to remove more material. This could overwhelm your vac whereas your vac can keep up with the first pass or two. I still lean towards my first suggestion.

Reply to
Larry C

Sure it does. I did this with a 6" jointer for quite a while before I put in central dust collection. With ONE tool and a short hose, the vac did fine, with the exception of keeping up with wide boards on a thicknesser.

Chances are, there isn't a smooth flowing path into the hose, or the

1/16" cut is creating so many chips at once, the reducer is causing the problem. Check the path and try lighter cuts.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Thanks Tom, will try less taking passes less than 1/16

What does puzzle me is why is there a preset for 1/8" if 1/16" is considered huge. I figured that taking half of what the preset is I should be fine.

Thanks, Daniel

Reply to
D. Martin

Y'know, it may not be thickness. You may be the victim of your own sharpening. When the blades on my planer are sharp, the chips are as long as the board is wide, and they are tough to bend double and go through the hose.

Reply to
George

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Dan,

Some time ago when I was having the same problem someone on the wRec suggested just taking off the vac attachment to open the discharge throat fully and let the chips fall in a box. Jointer "dust" is coarse stuff, even when taking 64ths, and this does not result in any significant floating sawdust, but the clogging problem disappeared forever. It was a really effective solution to a big nuisance.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Hinshaw

Thank you all for your help on this one, will be trying out some of the recommendations this weekend.

Also I'm aware that the 6hp vacuum is over rated but I must say that this Ridgid vac does a pretty good job compared to my 3hp Shopvac. I must warn anyone entering my shop with a wig to be cautious...

Thanks, Daniel

Reply to
D. Martin

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I have a grizzleguts 8" joiner and have used a 4" hose connected to the 4" square outlet. I also have the two HP grizzelguts DC unit and use 4" piping throughout.

That being said I still get clogs on my joiner as you do, to reduce these I have sealed all orifices with thje exception of the throat, duct tape and shop rage at the infeed and outfeed table adjustments. I believe the biggest problem now is the transition from square to round . So now I am going to get a piece of AC ducting that gives me a smooth transition from round to smooth and I do believe this will solve the problem.....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide