delta JT360 assembly problem - web site useless

Recently purchased a Delta JT360 jointer. When I finished assembling it yesterday, I discovered I had 4 lock washers left over. I suspect they belong on the motor mounting bolts, though I re-read the instructions several times and don't see any mention. They aren't on the parts list.

(The parts list also only lists 36 5/16 flat washers, but 40 are required and included. However - not speaking Spanish so I'm not 100% sure - the Spanish parts list does list 40 of these washers! So I'm suspecting the manual was not written by Ambrose Monk.)

Anyway, I went to the Delta web site to see if there was an updated manual or notice or anything. I can't really tell, because the the link for getting an online copy of the manuals, parts lists, etc., redirects you to another web site that seems to only know about DeWalt tools. It claims not to recognize Delta model numbers, and has no obvious links for manuals anyway. Registering doesn't help. There is also no obvious link to report problems to a webmaster for either site. It took a lot of searching to find an 800 number for support, which isn't available outside 9-6 weekdays.

When I had a problem assembling my Jet contractor's saw (cracked plastic cursor on the fence), they answered my call in seconds and sent me a replacement that arrived in a couple of days.

Reply to
John Santos

Another good reason to buy used equipment. My JT360 came assembled.

Reply to
Toller

Not that this is much consolation, but I think that DeWalt bought just about everybody in the recent past. That's the reason for the confusion. The DeWalt website IS the place to go for Delta! I could write a 10-pager on the trouble I went through trying to install the Biesmeyer fence on my Delta Hybrid cabinet saw recently. I bought mine at a major twin cities hardware company that has been around a long time, but they weren't a lot of help either. If you have no worse problem than a few left over washers, consider yourself lucky. I perceive that the amount of effort now given by (what's left of) Delta to update manuals as new models come out has suffered a lot. It seems that you just get the most recent manual for a similar machine that will fit into the box.

When I went through my own personal "Hell", I even talked with humans at DeWalt (I don't see a problem with having to call between 9 and 5). The woman was very polite, but just didn't "get it" at all. She sent me a paper copy of the same manual that I had told her didn't have the correct info.

What finally got me straightened out was locating the upline distributor from the Twin Cities Hardware store. A guy there simply said "Delta hasn't changed the hole pattern in their saws for years, so use any setup instructions you can find". **** I ended up with about 5 POUNDS of extra fasteners!

Pete Stanaitis

-----

John Santos wrote:

Reply to
spaco

You my already have this but there is a schematic here..

in your model# and there will be a schematic button.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Thanks, Mike, but that looks (as far as I can tell) just like the parts blowup included with my jointer. In particular, no lock washers on the motor mount bolts, just flat washers.

(The extra lock washers seem to be the same 5/16 size as the carriage bolts used to assemble the frame. They are larger than the ones used on the little screws that hold the belt cover on, and smaller than the lock washers used with the studs that hold the router to the frame.)

This looks like a good site to remember, though. It did pop up on my google search, but I want straight to the Delta site thinking it would be more useful.

Reply to
John Santos

Delta Tools (among others) was bought out by Black & Decker. They now use their "Dewalt ServiceNet" for support, manuals etc.

have to register to use the site. I registered over two years ago and I haven't had any problems with spam, etc.

Reply to
Nova

A few months ago, I needed some manuals for used equipment I acquired. First of all, I was utterly annoyed at having to create an account for something as simple as downloading manuals. (and in fact, for finding out if they actually had manuals available!) Then I was further annoyed by the fact that by not being in the USA, I couldn't actually set up said account! A bit of clicking and reading, and I discovered that everyone else on the planet can use a pre-setup account. Fine, log in and search for manuals. Eventually I found most of them, but was frustrated that there weren't manuals for anything that wasn't a current model. A week later there was a note up saying that servicenet would be mostly unavailable for a few weeks, while they completely revamped it. Hallelujah! Except that all they've apparently done is remove what little functionality it had. There is _nothing_ worthwhile there now, as near as I can see.

On the other hand, I sent email to the "if your manual isn't on this site, send email to this address" address. Within a week, I had a copy of the manual in my hands. Their service was very good, even if their website is utterly unusable.

Colin

Reply to
Colin B.