Delta Jointers

Hi: I'm going to purchase a Delta 6" Jointer. Is the Professional Model worth the extra $200 over the Deluxe Model. Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Brinton

I think so. You pick up 1/4 HP, and you have dust collection in the base. With the open stand, dust collection will be a nightmare on the optimistic side, non-existent on the realistic side.

If you are not sure, check how much chips a jointer makes before your final decision. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I fully agree. I bought the Pro model, and have never regretted it.

Ayup. Dust collection is pretty important for one of these puppies. Ran mine once without the DC because I was too lazy to connect and turn on the DC to joint one pass of one edge of one board. Bad decision.

Doug Miller

I'll throw in my disagreement here...I don't even bother hooking up a dust collector. IMO, a jointer just produces chips - very little dust. I just put a cardboard box at the bottom of the chute and empty it occasionally.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

I have looked a Delta's professional jointer, and Jet's closed stand jointer. In my opinion the Jet is a better machine. You may also want to check out the customer reviews of each jointer on Amazon.com. They both get about the same score, but if you do some reading the complaints of the Jet machine are fairly petty compared to the complaints on the Delta jointer. ool Crib in my area is having a sale in November. I plan on having a closed stand Jet follow me home! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Didn't have room for the DJ-20 I really wanted, so sold my Delta and got a Powermatic 6" with the long tables ... kinda pricey upfront, but those 66" tables make a big difference.

Reply to
Swingman

Or a plastic garbage bag at the chip chute, held on with magnets-

james snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com http:// snipped-for-privacy@breck.org

Reply to
brocpuffs

For reviews of tools I have used this site and like the simplicity...

click on "Tool Survey" and then "Search the Tool Survey..." I did a quick search for Delta 6" jointers and there were 18 reviews. Hope this helps. Jon

Reply to
JonH

I did this before I bought a DC system. The difference is night and day.

First of all, without suction, my jointer's dust chute occasionally clogged with curly shavings. The operator wouldn't notice until chips and shavings start shooting all over the place, especially on the infeed table.

A second difference, and this one counts for thickness planers as well: Suction will make sure all chips and shavings clear the tables and the wood. In my case, stray chips and shavings would sometimes get stuck to the workpiece, lifting the board and screwing up the operation. Think of it as running a board through half way, and randomly inserting feeler gauges under the outfeed. Not good.

I'm glad to hear you're not having the problem, but it sure drove me nuts.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Same experience here. I always use a DC for jointing and planing now.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

My Delta (non-cabinet type) has a chute the has a connection set up for a 4" dust collection hose. Works great. I don't know if the extra HP is worth it. I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for. It probably has better bearings etc.

Reply to
Frank J. Vitale