Delta Jointer at Lowes

Thanks guys for the tip about the 20% off at Lowe's. We didn't have a Lowe's in the area (Lincolnwood, IL) until they opened YESTERDAY!

I've had my eyes on buying a jointer for a few months and was motivated by the discussions in the newsgroup. Hearing about the 20% off, I went to the new Lowe's and asked where I could find the Ryobi Jointer. The man very politely told me they don't sell Ryobi, but have Delta.

I was expecting to find the Ryobi for $399 less 20%. What they had was a Delta JT360 6" with a floor stand for $349 less 20% = $279.20. Guess who has a 300# monster in his truck right now?

I'd like to hear if anyone has anything bad to say about this before I unload and assemble. It seems too good to be true. I see this same unit listed on Amazon and other sites for $449.99.

Did Christmas come early?

Thanks to all for the good advice over the year. I really enjoy this newsgroup and it has been a definite help in improving my knowledge, skills and good places for buying more toys.

Reply to
Dustmaker

You must be thinking Rigid, not Ryobi. Ryobi hasn't sold a jointer in a long time, and that was just a small benchtop model.

Good score.

--randy

Reply to
Randy Chapman

Good price, good jointer. You can get the closed base model with 1 hp for $449 at some places, but closer to $550 at others.

For $279, you have me thinking right now. I'm not sure what jointer I'm going to buy (Bridgewood, Delta, Yorktown) but this looks better at that price. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I bought one about a month ago and I'm very satisfied with it. I paid $467.00 Canadian plus 15% taxes.

D.Martin

Reply to
D. Martin

I snagged the Rigid JP0610 at HD yesterday for $320 after the 20% off.

Reply to
Grandpa

.. What they had was a

.

I have this same jointer now myself. I was using it in the demo shop where I work at WWW. I liked it so much that I bought it, now that we're going out of business. :o(

Anyway...it does a beautiful job and it makes very crisp rabbets. I find the fence adjustment mechanism kind of hangs up a bit and it's definitely no where near as smooth operating as the more expensive unit with the rack and pinion mechanism. (I forget the stock number..) But hey...it's a lot cheaper.

One other little thing too.. and I'll try to explain this best as I can... If you install the little plastic dust collector hood on the bottom and use a dust collector when you are operating the machine, the chips clear out just fine. But if you operate the machine without using a dust collector...AND you don't take the hood off...the gate will fill up. This is because there is a small "lip" at the bottom caused by a difference in height from the dust collctor hookup opening and the bottom of the machine's chute! This edge is higher than the chute's bottom and provides a place for the chips to collect and they build up, eventually completely closing off the opening.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you install the hood, and you maybe have a mobile DC that you move around from machine to machine....you might want to remove it if you operate the machine without hooking up a DC to it.

Otherwise, it's a super jointer, so have fun with it! :o)

HTH, Terry Sumner

Reply to
Terry Sumner

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I got a winner! Now I have to hustle up some of my neighbors to get it out of the van and into the shop (north side of garage). Hope I can attach wheels to the floor stand without having to buy a $50 mobile base.

BTW the 20% off sale ends today.

Dustmaker

Reply to
Dustmaker

I'm usually just a lurker, but thought I'd add to the post about Lowe's that there is also a rebate available on certain delta tools in $20,$30 and $50 amounts. This is in addition to the 20% off available this weekend.

Anthony Johnson

Reply to
L Anthony Johnson

I thought this might fall into the TGTBT category ( Too good....) However, the jointer is not on the list.

I forgot about the rebate. I purchased a Delta 2 speed planer and applied (have not received) for a refund. Love the planer. NO SNIPE and minimal tear out on Maple.

Thanks for the reminder.

Dustmaker

Happy Holidays to all.

Off IL to W. Val on Christmas day to see our twin sons. I'm building quite a collection of tools for them to fight over in 25 years. They are giving me a Jet 14" bandsaw. I wonder how they will split that.

I'm donating many of my old (replaced) tools to the maintenance department at a not-for-profit organization that provides services (including housing) for about 150 developmentally disabled adults. The maintenance staff is from Russia and they are used to dealing with hand-me-downs.

Reply to
Dustmaker

Guess it makes you as happy as me that good ol' Jean never scrapped the GST as promised eh!? (BTW, that's dripping with sarcasm...hehe :)

Chris

Reply to
Chris