Delta Jointer, Amazon, and WASTE.

Ordered the X5 6" Delta jointer. Came damaged, a couple small dents in the edge of the outfeed table, but very lapable if that's a word. Called, they sent a new one. Three weeks go by and they email me to say I need to schedule a return for the damaged one. Damn, I could have sold it.

Three days ago the guy comes to get it. I had fully assembled it, but took the beds/cutterhead/fence assembly off of the base to facilitate movement and loading. He says he's only taking the top, and I can keep the base with the motor. He then, literally, dumps the think on the back of the truck like a piece of junk. I ask him what's going to happen to it, and he says they'll probably just throw it out. Wow.

Soooo....any ideas on what I can use a 1hp motor mounted in the jointer base? And what's the deal with Amazon? I suppose I should have asked to keep it, and sent a photo of the damage along or something. What a waste.

JP

*************** Next up: Bandsaw.
Reply to
Jay Pique

I suspect, one way or another, that iron top is going to get shipped back to the source, melted down, and turned into something else. Today's scrap metal prices make it worthwhile.

Do you need a grinder, buffer or disc sander?

Amazon needs to learn how to pack their stuff.

Reply to
AL

I would have asked the guy where his trash can was Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Incredible story! I would see how much it would cost you to get the missing part(s) and then sell the thing.

Reply to
Joe

Dude. You suck. And you suck even more for not putting the word GLOAT in your subject line.

A 1 horse motor and a base. I *think* from what you say, he took the cutter assembly with him when he took the bed, so you lose a few gloat points but damn. A brand new one horse motor. Sweet. You WILL find a use for it, if nothing more than a really good barter tool.

Reply to
else24

Yeah, the cutter assembly and the cast iron beds and fence are gone. The power switch and mount, the motor and the steel base are mine to keep. I was thinking about a grinder set-up, but a full 1hp might be overkill. Perhaps a buffer like someone else mentioned.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

| snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: || || A 1 horse motor and a base. I *think* from what you say, he took || the cutter assembly with him when he took the bed, so you lose a || few gloat points but damn. A brand new one horse motor. Sweet. You || WILL find a use for it, if nothing more than a really good barter || tool. | | Yeah, the cutter assembly and the cast iron beds and fence are gone. | The power switch and mount, the motor and the steel base are mine to | keep. I was thinking about a grinder set-up, but a full 1hp might | be overkill. Perhaps a buffer like someone else mentioned.

How about using what you have as the basis for a shop-built drum sander?

[I almost forgot: You suck!]

Morris Dovey

That is the reason they haul off the old one. It will be on the scrap pile, but it also prevents anyone from making their own jointer from "defective" parts accumulated different ways. Deters fraud. I know some companies that will put the cutting torch to any machine or tool they scrap before it head off to the junkyard so any competitors will not be able to buy it and set up shop for cheap.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The source is China. They ain't going to ship it back there, at least not as an individual unit. Iron isn't worth that much.

If it is shipped anywhere it would be to the B & D reconditioning center where it will have a new life as a refurbished unit. If not that, then it will become a DIF (destroy in field) depending on what B & D's policy is with Amazon on that class of machine. If DIF then it will go to a local metal recycler. Course, he may bulk ship to China, but more likely to a domestic foundry.

Most mail order sellers depend on the manufacturers packaging. It is a fallacy to believe that the manufacturers packaging, designed for one trip to a retail distributor, can stand multiple onloads and offloads from trucks and multiple LTL shipments. However, they (the mail order people) keep trying because the warranty expense, if it can't be pushed off to the LTL carrier, goes back to the manufacturer.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I doubt that Amazon shipped it...

Every tool that I've ever bought at Amazon was shipped directly from the manufacturer.. Mac

mac davis

Morris Dovey wrote: overkill. Perhaps a buffer like someone else mentioned.

I'd considered that, but I haven't yet researched it. My gut tells me I'd be better off buying one.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Let me relate my Amazon tale.

I bought a Performax sander. It came in two pieces, the sander assembly and the converyor assembly. The conveyor assembly has horribly mangled. The tension adjusting screws were all bent. So I called Amazon and they said to leave it outside by the door and someone would come and pick it up and that they'd also ship a replacement unit.

Lo and behold, it disappears a few days later and my credit card gets credited for the cost of the entire sander. So I'm sitting here with half of a free sander and no conveyor assembly in site. Calls to Amazon do no good. They claim everything is settled.

4 weeks later, a converyor assembly shows up on my doorstep. It's beat up too. I dont even have time to call Amazon. A day later a second conveyor assembly shows up, also beat up. But between the two assemblies I manage to pull enough good pieces off to make one good assembly. I'm in business! But I havent paid anything, and I have a pile of bent conveyor assembly pieces lying around. I call Amazon, they still maintain everything is settled.

2 weeks later, I get an email from Amazon asking that I call them. Sure enough, they realized I havent paid for it and they re-billed my credit card. A week after that, Performax realized they double shipped the conveyor assembly and asked for it to be sent back. I had a nice conversation with them about their crappy packaging.

In the end, it took about 2 months to get everything straightened out but I have to admit, Amazon was nothing but polite and professional about the whole thing, but what a wacky way to run a business.

dickm

Reply to
dicko