Delta grinder quality

First off, long time no post. Been off to Iraq twice and didn't want to hear any cr@p about it so I only lurked when home.

OK, I needed a grinder that could go low speed for beveling chisels and planes.

It was "convenient for me" to buy a variable speed grinder. So I ended up with the Delta GR450. Top of the line as far as their Shopmaster line goes. Right?

The thing is unusable. The tool rests are all wrong. What is odd is that the "low end" models such as the GR150 have better tool rests.

The GR450 tool rest arms look like they are poured from molds. High on the left side and low on the right all around. I think I made something like it in boy scouts one night. Not so on the lower end models. The others are stamped, but, at least smooth and even all around.

The rest itself is also molded iron and is completely unlevel. It is

1/4" higher on the left side than the right horizontally and uneven vertically. The rests mount on the arms on the INSIDE of the wheel. So the rest CANNOT even get up against the wheel the proper less than 1/16 (that their manual even states.) The low end models have milled and polished tool rests that mount on the outside of the arm.

Speaking of the wheel. I can not get to it at other than a straight on horizontal plane. If the rest is canted at all on the arm, it rubs against the wheel. Great design!

In final. The concept of the tool is what I was looking for and could not find elsewhere. The shop I bought it from will gladly take it back and give me my money.

I want the tool, and I want the tool rests to function no less than the current less expensive models. (I'll worry about Veritas tool rests some other time.)

Where on Earth do I contact Delta's Customer Service to raise this issue? I am a member to their club website. I must have or had a dozen Delta tools and I can not find a customer service number anywhere. The only thing I find is to call a local reseller/distributor repair shop. Shouldn't I be talking to THE Delta Customer Service instead?

fingercutter

Reply to
fingercutter

Welcome home - glad you came back alive.

[snip]

Japan woodworker has the Veritas 05M23.01 available for $37. This will at least get you a working machine that you can use. The Delta tool rests are defective by design. They've been cheapened to the point that they look like tools, but aren't really usable except by accident. (Someone, somewhere might get one that's square).

Best I can do is the online comment/question form:

luck...

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Go to their Web page and click on the About Us link.

When the fly out menu flies out click on the Contact Us link.

It's as easy as eating pie.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

I contacted someone at the Technical Assitance number. She is having replacement tool rests and arms sent out. She would not send out tool rests for a different less expensive model. I should have them by the middle of next week. I have a concern that they will be no better than the ones I have now. I beleive that they simply marketed it with lower quality tool rest parts than the less expensive models. Therefore, they will never be square. She said that they have shipped 4,000 of the GR450 units at this point and no one has pointed out a "design flaw." If these are the same and not square, then I will request what appear to be higher quality tool rests that they have on their other models (ex: GR250.) Perhaps I can attempt to contact the Delta rep for the box store that I bought the grinder at as well. They have really cut back on their Delta stock. They told me it was due to Delta's recent inability to meet demand. For what that is worth.

fingercutter

Reply to
fingercutter

FWIW, I got a slow speed grinder from Woodcraft that also has poorly made tool rests. I had to grind both of them down where they bolt up to the attachment brackets; otherwise they sat at an angle to the wheels. Maybe Delta OEM'd the grinder from the same sloppy mfgr?

Dave

f> First off, long time no post. Been off to Iraq twice and didn't want

Reply to
David

I'm beginning to think there is no "top-of-the-line" when it comes to any Delta tool that says Shopmaster on it.

Unfortunately, I've got a pile of Delta "shopmaster" stuff as well, and it's all getting replaced as soon as I can afford it. Their warranty service is great when to comes to replacing parts, but the replacement is still the same part that broke the first time.

Just like anything, you get what you pay for- and if it's from that shopmaster line, you're not paying for much.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Here's the weird thing though: The smaller, lower-end models have higher quality parts?! Take a look at the tool rests on the GR450:

the GR250 or 275 etc...:
Professional line only has ONE grinder, the 23-725 and it is slow speed only.

Reply to
fingercutter