Delta Drill Press Wiring Help (DP-350)

I have a DP-350 bench top drill press that has a broken switch (it fried and smoked). I have a new one on the way, but I pulled the wires off it w/o writing down how they go back.

Anyone mind taking a look at theirs? It pulls forward by removing three scews.

I would call Delta, but I'm sure I will have to jump through 2,000 hoops to get the answer.

Thanks

GarageWoodworks

You have been provided with a great opportunity.

If you don't have one, now is the time to trot down to your local Radio Shack and buy an inexpensive VOM.

No shop should be without one, IMHO.

About $10.00 for an analog one.

Maybe $30-$40 for a digital one.

When you have one, walking you thru installing the new switch will be a piece of cake.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I had the switch go bad my self. and they sent me one. As for the wires, I don't remember the colors, but do you have a test light or ohm meter? I would check continuity from the plug (removed from the outlet) to the wires. Once you find which are the power wires, put those on one side of the switch, and the motor to the other. Frank

Reply to
Frank S

I know which pair of wires are on the 'Off' side and which pair go to the 'On' side of the switch, but I don't know left-right for each pair. Black on left or white on left? I guess this is a good time to learn how to use an ohm meter.

thanks.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Lew,

As it turns out, I have an ohm meter (I wasn't sure if the meter I have measures ohm's, but it does).

I have four (actually six, but two are a set of two) wires. Two goto the off side and two goto the on side of the switch. I know which pair goes where, but I don't know the polarity. White-black on which side?? How do I determine this or does it not matter in a switch of this type?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

have measures ohm's, but it does).

the off side and two goto the on side of the switch. I know which pair goes where, but I don't know the polarity. White-black on which side?? How do I determine this or does it not matter in a switch of this type?

Let me guess.

This is probably a 115VAC machine.

Delta has probably standardized on a single switch for both their

115VAC and 230VAC machines to minimize inventory which is NBD.

When you get the new switch, test it for continuity with your VOM.

My guess is that it will have four(4) terminals, 2 on each side.

Put the switch in the "ON" position, then test for contunity till you find the pairs that show conductivity.

One pair will be for "Black", the other pair will be for "White".

After you install new switch, but before you plug it back in, turn switch "OFF" and test for contunitity at the plug.

It should show "Open".

Flip switch, test again.

It should show "Closed".

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yes. The switch has four terminals. When it arrives I will run through what you suggested. This will be the first time I have used the ohm portion of the meter (I usually use it for measuring voltage). Thanks for your help!!

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Yes. The switch has four terminals. When it arrives I will run through what you suggested. This will be the first time I have used the ohm portion of the meter (I usually use it for measuring voltage). Thanks for your help!!

You're welcome.

If you haven't used the meter for a while, better check the battery inside meter since it is used to measured ohms.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 17:09:27 -0800 (PST), GarageWoodworks cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

It does not matter which side of the switch you put the pairs. A switch simply opens and closes a circuit. You can put your black on which ever side you think looks nicer.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

This parts drawing has the wiring diagram:

Denis G.

This may help. Place the black/colored/hot wire on the brass screw terminals. The white/neutral wire goes on the silver terminals if so provided. Green and bare are interchangeable for ground.

Reply to
DanG